Tax LLM without accounting degree?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rnen22

New

Tax LLM without accounting degree?

Post by rnen22 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Hey all, I am thinking about pursuing a tax llm at NYU/Georgetown next year. I am comfortable with working at a Big 4 after graduation, and even prefer that option to big law. I have a generic liberal arts degree though, and I am concerned that Big 4 firms won't want to interview someone without any accounting experience. So, for all those past Tax LLMs with no accounting experience, how did recruiting go? Also, is there anything I can do to try to improve my chances, such as trying to add additional courses in accounting?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Tax LLM without accounting degree?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 2:56 pm

I was poli sci and I didn’t have an issue with EY, KPMG, or PwC. I didn’t interview with Deloitte.

Edit: I was K-JD as well, so no useful world experience or anything.

rnen22

New

Post by rnen22 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:10 pm

Cool, thanks for your comment. I'm just paranoid about paying a ton of money for this degree and not getting a job next year, lol. Do you have any tips on doing well in the program, and in recruiting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 3:12 pm

I was K-JD with an undergrad degree in philosophy. I never took any accounting classes in undergrad. I did my non-t14's joint JD/LLM program. I interviewed with KPMG, EY, and Deloitte. I received formal offers from both KPMG NYC and EY NYC and I received a verbal offer from the MD and senior manager at Deloitte (but I had already accepted KPMG so I never received a formal Deloitte offer). As long as you have a genuine desire to work in tax, and can really sell that desire, you'll be attractive to the Big4.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 3:17 pm

The Tax LLM program is intense and gives you a good foundation in tax for big 4 work. Most firms dont care about your undergrad degree. Just do well in the program and you’ll be fine.

FWIW I was Econ and didn't take any accounting classes. I’ll be joining a Big 4.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 16, 2020 12:03 am

rnen22 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:46 pm
Hey all, I am thinking about pursuing a tax llm at NYU/Georgetown next year. I am comfortable with working at a Big 4 after graduation, and even prefer that option to big law. I have a generic liberal arts degree though, and I am concerned that Big 4 firms won't want to interview someone without any accounting experience. So, for all those past Tax LLMs with no accounting experience, how did recruiting go? Also, is there anything I can do to try to improve my chances, such as trying to add additional courses in accounting?

Thanks
Lack of accounting experience in undergrad is not an issue at all. If you took/will take tax classes in JD, that might help you as far as Big4 recruitment is concerned first semester of the LLM program. After that if you do well (or somewhat well), even the absence of a significant number of tax courses in your JD will not be detrimental, let alone the lack of accounting experience.

If you are still in your JD program, take tax classes. Otherwise, just work hard in the LL.M. program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”