Late Registering for NYLE - will I get fired?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Late Registering for NYLE - will I get fired?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 11:05 am

Hello,

I hope i'm just being a neurotic psycho, but tell me what you think.

I'm a fool and registered too late to take the June NYLE. I will have to take the September NYLE on September 25th. The last communication from my big law firm said that "you should take the June NYLE so that you have it done before you start at the firm." They also gave possible dates for NY and UBE bar exams that people can take, one of which was September 30 - Oct 1, after the September NYLE.

My firm has not yet told us whether we are being deferred. But even if we're not deferred much, or at all, the NYLE takes place only 2 weeks after the bar. The September NYLE is on a Tuesday.

My question is, am I going to get in trouble for this? Should I tell the firm, or just wait until they make a decision about start date, or ask me about the NYLE? Will they use this as a pretext to revoke my offer?

Let me know if other information would be helpful, but I included all info from my firm here.

Thank you

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: Late Registering for NYLE - will I get fired?

Post by dvlthndr » Wed May 13, 2020 12:18 pm

I doubt this is going to be a serious issue. The NYLE doesn’t do anything on its own, and the content is a joke.

My guess is they just want to make sure you pass the bar ASAP. The NYLE won’t be the thing that holds up your bar application, so I think it’s “no harm, no foul.”

I would be surprised if they used this as a flimsy pretense to fire you. I would probably let them know about the situation, but if you stay silent on it the whole issue will probably go away.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Wed May 13, 2020 12:30 pm

You're fine, just wait until they ask you about the NYLE (if they ever do). It sounds like they just want your Notice of Certification to be complete rather than incomplete when you pass the bar (when you get bar pass results, there's 2 forms of the certification letter they can send you - one if you passed bar, MPRE, and NYLE, and another if you passed the bar but not one of MPRE/NYLE). The key thing is just to have passed the NYLE before your bar results come in, which if you take the September NYLE and either of those bar dates will 100% be the case (based on how long bar results can typically take, I would wager there is even a good chance that you could fit in the December NYLE before the September bar results are out).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 2:27 pm

You are fine. You can take the September NYLE. It doesn't make any difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanks y'all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”