WFH Seamless Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FedFan123

Bronze

WFH Seamless

Post by FedFan123 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:42 am

So what’s the deal? My practice group is going gangbusters right now - billing 15 hours a day and working full weekends. I don’t mind since we are quarantined anyways, but is anyone ordering seamless meals delivered to their home and charging the client? Has anyone asked their firm? I’d be comping roughly $200 a week in meals with all this work, so not nothing (especially since I have to do all the work anyways). I don’t see why the firm/clients shouldn’t be picking up the tab just because I’m grinding from home rather than the office. Anyways just thought I’d see if anyone else has thought about this or just me :)

Anonymous User

Re: WFH Seamless

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 am

I honestly think about this everyday - im so busy I dont have time to cook and usually id just order at work.

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:26 am

Exactly - so what have you been doing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 am

My firm announced that our old office-only Seamless policy continues to apply.

Presumably this is for tax reasons (there's a specific tax code exclusion for meals delivered to the office to facilitate working late in the office that doesn't apply to meals delivered to people's homes), but obviously also to save the firm money (since many/most of the meals don't actually end up being billed out to our clients).

I wouldn't try doing this without the firm's okay. Not worth the risk/reward, in my view.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 am

Presumably this is for tax reasons (there's a specific tax code exclusion for meals delivered to the office to facilitate working late in the office that doesn't apply to meals delivered to people's homes), but obviously also to save the firm money (since many/most of the meals don't actually end up being billed out to our clients).

I wouldn't try doing this without the firm's okay. Not worth the risk/reward, in my view.
Second this. My firm announced that meals can be reimbursed, but reimbursements will be taxed. Unless your firm has given a similar go-ahead, don't do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Second this. My firm announced that meals can be reimbursed, but reimbursements will be taxed. Unless your firm has given a similar go-ahead, don't do it.
Well your firm’s policy sounds materially different than the poster’s you are replying to. His meals can’t be reimbursed at all, while yours can it seem, but as taxable income

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 9:14 am

FedFan123 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Well your firm’s policy sounds materially different than the poster’s you are replying to. His meals can’t be reimbursed at all, while yours can it seem, but as taxable income
Quoted anon: I meant that I second the recommendation to get the firm's ok before asking for reimbursement on meals rather than guessing at what the policy will be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”