----

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

----

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 6:23 pm

A number of factors, including the bizarre facts A number of factors, including the bizarre facts
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 08, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Re: First year with no billable work, should I leave?

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 pm

Asking out of ignorance: why would a big automotive company be actively hiring first year lawyers in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic? Is there a specific role that you could fill in-house that would reduce their outside counsel expenses?

In the absence of an identified, specific job opportunity, I wouldn't try to solicit a job offer from a big firm client in the current circumstances. Just make sure that your practice group knows that you're available and looking for more work to do. If I were in your shoes, I would hope to stay employed at the firm as long as possible. While you won't get the same amount of hands-on training as in normal times billing 30-60 hours a week, at least you'll be able to lengthen your tenure as a law firm associate for resume purposes in case layoffs do eventually happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 6:55 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:Asking out of ignorance: why would a big automotive company be actively hiring first year lawyers in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic? Is there a specific role that you could fill in-house that would reduce their outside counsel expenses?

In the absence of an identified, specific job opportunity, I wouldn't try to solicit a job offer from a big firm client in the current circumstances. Just make sure that your practice group knows that you're available and looking for more work to do. If I were in your shoes, I would hope to stay employed at the firm as long as possible. While you won't get the same amount of hands-on training as in normal times billing 30-60 hours a week, at least you'll be able to lengthen your tenure as a law firm associate for resume purposes in case layoffs do eventually happen.
This is OP. I should've been clearer, the firm client is not automotive, but it is hiring first years for in-house litigation positions. I guess they are looking to reduce outside counsel expenses, but I'm honestly not sure why they are hiring. I have a pre-screen interview with the recruiting person next week.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri May 08, 2020 8:35 pm

Sure, go in house if you think that is the right move for you. But recognize it’ll be pretty tough to ever get back to a firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”