Wyrick Robbins

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2020 8:24 pm

What’s their deal? I’ve gotten like 5 recruiter emails asking if I want to move to Raleigh and was told that this was the firm. There’s almost no information on the firm anywhere and the website doesn’t seem top notch. But, they have a lot of Duke Law and UChicago Law grads.

Any information helps. Billable hours? Pay? Culture? Is Raleigh nice?

I’m just done with big city life and biglaw hours and this job seemed like a breath of fresh air, so I wanted to ask TLS if this firm is a legit firm.

Anon because I’m probably submitting and don’t want this to be traced back to me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2020 8:32 pm

did a callback there (but didn't get an offer). seems like a great firm and the people there were great. While I was there, I was told no one really works weekends. culture seems very laid back. Smith Anderson is another Raleigh firm (and generally I see people put it at #1 in Raleigh, with Wyrick as #2).

Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did a callback there (but didn't get an offer). seems like a great firm and the people there were great. While I was there, I was told no one really works weekends. culture seems very laid back. Smith Anderson is another Raleigh firm (and generally I see people put it at #1 in Raleigh, with Wyrick as #2).
OP here. Do you live in Raleigh? What’s the legal market generally like? I looked at Raleigh/Charlotte before but didn’t make the jump a few years back. Back then I had a callback at Smith Anderson but it didn’t work out. It was a great firm, but it still seemed very “biglaw.” As an aside, they have the most thorough callback system I’ve ever experienced (I had to meet with 15 or so attorneys over two days).

User avatar
filibuster

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by filibuster » Thu May 07, 2020 9:25 am

A former colleague of mine in NYC biglaw lateraled there and I think they like it/seems chill

bokampers

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:52 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by bokampers » Thu May 07, 2020 11:14 pm

I went to law school in the triangle. Wyrick is a respected firm in the area. I’d classify it as regional biglaw though. Pays six-figure starting, but not quite “market” to the extent that one exists in Raleigh.

As to Raleigh itself, I find it to be a very charming small city. Great downtown with an emphasis on local food, breweries, farmer’s markets etc. Lots of trees and lots of suburbs. Family friendly. Great housing market. Durham is cool(er) also.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 6:17 am

It is most certainly not “regional big law.” It is a one-office, 90ish lawyer firm in Raleigh. It has an hours “requirement” of 1800, but I spent a summer there and was present during a presentation in which they listed the average billable hours over the prior year — I don’t remember exactly but associates were somewhere in the 1700s. Starting salary I believe is $135,000 for first years, and it probably goes up 5-10k per year, so that by partner time you’re in the low 200s. My estimation is that partners make between 250-500, of course the higher end being those with seniority and or importance.

They are like 90% corporate, 10% litigation. Their corporate work is well respected in the state, but their litigation work is not (simply because it’s like 8-9 litigators and they haven’t really worked to “grow” that practice). They do a lot of startup/vc work with the research triangle tech/pharma/whatever companies.

Culture is great. Jimmy Yates is as laid-back as they come. I’ve never worked in true big law, so I can’t compare exactly, but I can assure you that there are no screamer partners there, no facetime bs, and late nights are quite rare. The other big firm in Raleigh is Smith Anderson, which has a pretty NY type, billable hours focus, churn and burn culture. This is the opposite.

If you are a corporate lawyer and looking to settle in a mid-size city where you can own a nice house without paying a million dollars, I would consider taking this job. If you like working in a law firm and would want to do that long term, I would consider taking this job. Partnership is essentially guaranteed. But, if you want to go in house eventually, I’d probably pass it up and stay where you are/and or make the jump straight from big law. Going first to Wyrick won’t help you land the great in house gig.

Agree with all the other posters.... Raleigh is a great city. Durham is even better. These are the types of places one can settle down and raise a family.

Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:It is most certainly not “regional big law.” It is a one-office, 90ish lawyer firm in Raleigh. It has an hours “requirement” of 1800, but I spent a summer there and was present during a presentation in which they listed the average billable hours over the prior year — I don’t remember exactly but associates were somewhere in the 1700s. Starting salary I believe is $135,000 for first years, and it probably goes up 5-10k per year, so that by partner time you’re in the low 200s. My estimation is that partners make between 250-500, of course the higher end being those with seniority and or importance.

They are like 90% corporate, 10% litigation. Their corporate work is well respected in the state, but their litigation work is not (simply because it’s like 8-9 litigators and they haven’t really worked to “grow” that practice). They do a lot of startup/vc work with the research triangle tech/pharma/whatever companies.

Culture is great. Jimmy Yates is as laid-back as they come. I’ve never worked in true big law, so I can’t compare exactly, but I can assure you that there are no screamer partners there, no facetime bs, and late nights are quite rare. The other big firm in Raleigh is Smith Anderson, which has a pretty NY type, billable hours focus, churn and burn culture. This is the opposite.

If you are a corporate lawyer and looking to settle in a mid-size city where you can own a nice house without paying a million dollars, I would consider taking this job. If you like working in a law firm and would want to do that long term, I would consider taking this job. Partnership is essentially guaranteed. But, if you want to go in house eventually, I’d probably pass it up and stay where you are/and or make the jump straight from big law. Going first to Wyrick won’t help you land the great in house gig.

Agree with all the other posters.... Raleigh is a great city. Durham is even better. These are the types of places one can settle down and raise a family.

This info is great. Thanks for this. Is there a reason why salary is a lot lower than other firms in the area? Last I heard, Raleigh “market” went to 165 with Charlotte. I may be wrong, though. Is it because of its lower billable requirement?

I’m glad to hear about the rare late night and no weekend work. I’m usually in the office until 8-9 and work 3 out of 4 weekends, so I’d like a slightly slower pace.

I still haven’t applied but am planning to do so in the next week after sprucing up my resume.

Lawyerdawg

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Lawyerdawg » Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am

I've seen a few mentions of Smith Anderson, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts/info on places like Brooks Pierce or McGuireWoods as far as their Raleigh offices go? How do they compare to Wyrick?

Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 am

I've only ever heard good things about that firm. Whereas Smith Anderson wants everyone to know that it is No. 1 in Raleigh (think a lesser version of K&S in Atlanta), Wyrick just wants to do good work and treat its people well. There's an ole' boy component to all of these Southern firms, in my experience, but if you can deal with that this would be a great gig.

I attended school in the area and chose NYC to enhance exit opportunities (as mentioned above), but were I to move back to NC then Wyrick would be a top choice. Especially if you want to buy a house with a yard and raise kids, Raleigh is nice. Durham is better, but I wouldn't want to make that commute.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:21 am
Anonymous User wrote:It is most certainly not “regional big law.” It is a one-office, 90ish lawyer firm in Raleigh. It has an hours “requirement” of 1800, but I spent a summer there and was present during a presentation in which they listed the average billable hours over the prior year — I don’t remember exactly but associates were somewhere in the 1700s. Starting salary I believe is $135,000 for first years, and it probably goes up 5-10k per year, so that by partner time you’re in the low 200s. My estimation is that partners make between 250-500, of course the higher end being those with seniority and or importance.

They are like 90% corporate, 10% litigation. Their corporate work is well respected in the state, but their litigation work is not (simply because it’s like 8-9 litigators and they haven’t really worked to “grow” that practice). They do a lot of startup/vc work with the research triangle tech/pharma/whatever companies.

Culture is great. Jimmy Yates is as laid-back as they come. I’ve never worked in true big law, so I can’t compare exactly, but I can assure you that there are no screamer partners there, no facetime bs, and late nights are quite rare. The other big firm in Raleigh is Smith Anderson, which has a pretty NY type, billable hours focus, churn and burn culture. This is the opposite.

If you are a corporate lawyer and looking to settle in a mid-size city where you can own a nice house without paying a million dollars, I would consider taking this job. If you like working in a law firm and would want to do that long term, I would consider taking this job. Partnership is essentially guaranteed. But, if you want to go in house eventually, I’d probably pass it up and stay where you are/and or make the jump straight from big law. Going first to Wyrick won’t help you land the great in house gig.

Agree with all the other posters.... Raleigh is a great city. Durham is even better. These are the types of places one can settle down and raise a family.

This info is great. Thanks for this. Is there a reason why salary is a lot lower than other firms in the area? Last I heard, Raleigh “market” went to 165 with Charlotte. I may be wrong, though. Is it because of its lower billable requirement?

I’m glad to hear about the rare late night and no weekend work. I’m usually in the office until 8-9 and work 3 out of 4 weekends, so I’d like a slightly slower pace.

I still haven’t applied but am planning to do so in the next week after sprucing up my resume.

There's a lot of good and helpful info above, but I think it's kind of a weird take to brand SA and WR as opposites based on your summer. I've always understood their cultures/hours to be similar, which makes sense because that sort of culture fits with Raleigh/NC. They each have a handful of 2L summer associates a year, so the churn and burn thing also seems kind of fundamentally silly--here's SA's 2012 starting class https://www.smithlaw.com/news-1051 - all of those people are still on the firm's site. I looked at a couple other classes and it's not 100%, but it's usually at least 50% still on the firm's site with some apparently leaving town and others going in house. Both firms are going to have some weekend work (I think it's unrealistic to pretend like they don't regardless of what you're told)--they do sophisticated public company securities work and lots of M&A, including for public companies, so it's just the nature of the work, even if it's not every weekend and even though there's probably some downtime after busy times. You're still a corporate lawyer.

Maybe WR hypes up some sort of contrast to SA for recruiting since you spent a summer there, but I wouldn't expect them to do so and don't believe that hype if they do. I also am not surprised that you would not see/hear about late night work/weekend work over your summer, especially since people in Raleigh often split summers so it's something of a competition between firms (and if you're splitting with somewhere in NY not working as much is going to be one of the key differentiators the firm wants to highlight).

Anyways, to the above poster, I hope you land a spot at WR, it seems like a great outcome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 351119
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Wyrick Robbins

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2020 4:40 pm

Lawyerdawg wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am
I've seen a few mentions of Smith Anderson, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts/info on places like Brooks Pierce or McGuireWoods as far as their Raleigh offices go? How do they compare to Wyrick?
Both great spots--two of the best in town. SA, BP, and MGW are downtown while WR is in an office park (if that matters to you for when we go back to offices someday). You've also got K&L Gates, Womble, Parker Poe, Poyner, Troutman, DLA Piper (I think?), Ellis and Winters, Williams Mullen, Fox Rothschild and a smattering of other small offices in Raleigh and in RTP (sure I'm missing plenty here). A small RBH office in CH. There are some other threads that hash these out more. Check out definitive thread on NC law firms or something similar.

Comparisons are sort of difficult and play on a lot of factors. I'm sure you make more at McGuireWoods, but partnership and long-term retention prospects I'm sure are better at WR/BR. All are doing very sophisticated work, often across from each other, although of course work/experiences will vary at each firm. BP would be more like WR than MGW I would think, but from the above poster's description of WR's lit, BP would be different in that regard with a large and strong lit practice (band 1 NC, although Wyrick is in there at Band 4 so must be doing ok for themselves too).

https://chambers.com/guide/usa?publicat ... onId=12829

Here's the corporate one (which isn't full NC like the lit one showing Wyrick ahead but BP just behind it)

https://chambers.com/guide/usa?publicat ... onId=20539

You just gotta meet the people you'd be working with and think about if you'd rather be at a NC firm or an outpost of a national firm, which is discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”