High-end plaintiff's lit boutiques

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

High-end plaintiff's lit boutiques

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:27 pm

I've seen a few posts lately mentioning high-end p-side lit boutiques paying huge bonuses tied to settlements/verdicts. Other than SG and perhaps HH, which firms fall into this category? I doubt Lieff Cabraser or those types of firms have significant salary/bonus upside?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: High-end plaintiff's lit boutiques

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Would sorta surprise if Lieff Cabraser *didn't* pay big bonuses, especially if you're a more senior associate? I don't think the salary is Cravath scale, but they're counsel on the big cases and the associates are all T14 law grads.

I don't think this is like those plaintiff's side securities shops where they stock up on TTT associates and the partners are 3 dudes from HLS who clean up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2020 12:00 am

Look at top securities firms like Bernstein Litowitz, Robins Geller, etc. - they fall into this category

FWIW, though, based on my conversations with people who work at places like that, you're still usually making less than you would at the equivalent biglaw level, even with bonuses. It's the partners who have absurd amounts of money. Some places like Dovel & Luner do blow biglaw out the water, but they're few and far between.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2020 8:57 am

Off the top of my head - Susman, HH, Hausfeld.

I also think places like Robins Geller, Lieff, Cohen Milstein are at least getting close to biglaw with bonuses.

Another thing to note at the top p side places, partnership is much quicker, usually by year 6-7. Susman can even be earlier. High end bonuses are also variable. So I know at my firm, a few years ago bonuses for junior associates were over 200k. The next year they were not close to 200k, but still significantly over what you would get in biglaw.

Edit - base salaries also depend on the firm, but the top places either pay cravath for associates or close enough to cravath scale. So last year, I made more than my equivalent year in biglaw, but only by 25% or so. Some years it’s 100% or more than my equivalent biglaw year + biglaw bonus. But it’s more variable like I said. Who knows if I’ll get a dime in bonus this year because of Covid.

Also to the earlier posters point, these types of firms are usually just as selective as v20 type firms. For our summer program interviews last year, we interviewed almost exclusively people from YHS, with a few other t14s and 1 from a t20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2020 10:40 am

Based on personal knowledge:

At the p-side securities firms there is kind of a U-shape compared to Biglaw salary. Junior comp is fairly similar, but a much higher proportion is bonus and obviously that value partially reflects the firms success that year. Salary seems to lag behind Biglaw as a mid-level and senior and then partner is kinda Blackboxy but obviously some partners make... a lot...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”