2020 Bonuses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What will happen to bonuses this year?

Unchanged $$ and same hours target
38%
Unchanged $$ and lower hours target
4%
Lower $$ and same hours target
42%
Lower $$ and lower hours target
13%
Other
4%

Total votes: 368

texas1100

New

2020 Bonuses

Post by texas1100 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Speculate.

objctnyrhnr

Re: 2020 Bonuses

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:26 pm

At no cut firms, associates are going to be paying, at least partially, for the relatively quieter partner draw decreases/delays.

At firms that have already cut, yeah things will be less than ideal come bonus time.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:57 pm

this is so breathtakingly obvious that I can’t believe it needs to be said out loud

there will be either no bonuses or nominal bonuses (eg 5-15k)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:33 pm

I’d be thrilled with 50% bonus (at a firm that hasn’t made cuts and indicated that it has “no plans” to do so - which, of course, I’m taking with a grain of salt).

But I also expect that bonuses will be zero or nominal.

Ultramar vistas

New

Post by Ultramar vistas » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:41 pm

wwwcol wrote:this is so breathtakingly obvious that I can’t believe it needs to be said out loud

V30 firms will not have lower bonuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TUwave

New

Post by TUwave » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:55 pm

At certain firms, this is where hours thresholds work their magic. Some will get market bonuses, some will get diddly.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:56 pm

Ultramar vistas wrote:
wwwcol wrote:this is so breathtakingly obvious that I can’t believe it needs to be said out loud

Biglaw firms, even the V10, gave out nominal bonuses starting in 2008, and didn't raise them for years despite the legal market quickly recovering. Why would this year be any different? I get that some firms might want to demonstrate strength but they'll do that by not laying off/announcing salary cuts.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:04 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:

Biglaw firms, even the V10, gave out nominal bonuses starting in 2008, and didn't raise them for years despite the legal market quickly recovering. Why would this year be any different? I get that some firms might want to demonstrate strength but they'll do that by not laying off/announcing salary cuts.
Yeah, we already have a roadmap for a recession. People should expect low/nominal bonuses from biglaw firms. The exceptions are for the true top like Wachtell, although even they reduced bonuses (even if they were still large). The generic V10, let alone V30, does not qualify.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:08 pm

I think the no cut firms will need to continue to assert some dominance over cut firms come bonus time to make it worth the PR investment. I think firms that cut will have nominal to no bonuses. I think lower level no cut firms (e.g., Morgan Lewis, DLA piper US) will do like half market bonuses or I dunno maybe a little more, and I think you’ll see like Latham etc stick with market. Maybe you’ll see Kirkland or quinn do something crazy over the top who knows.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:17 pm

Our firm said at the outset that they were lowering the hours requirement for bonus this year, but were suspiciously quiet on whether bonuses would be the same. I would expect it to be lower with a close to full bonus for top billers. Most people I know are still on track to make hours so it would be extra crappy to have a lower bonus. Biglaw corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Our firm said at the outset that they were lowering the hours requirement for bonus this year, but were suspiciously quiet on whether bonuses would be the same. I would expect it to be lower with a close to full bonus for top billers. Most people I know are still on track to make hours so it would be extra crappy to have a lower bonus. Biglaw corporate.
My firm has also been quiet on bonuses but I also don't think anyone has had the guts to ask. Your take is overly optimistic, for several reasons: (1) biglaw firms don't like paying bonuses and only do so, by grudgingly following Cravath, in order to compete for law students and to retain associates, (2) the economy is obviously not great and it's not going to immediately snap back, so there is a good pretext to lower bonuses, and (3) law firms can't possibly know what the bonuses will be in April. The bonuses will be whatever Cravath says they are, unless some other V10 goes over the top and everyone matches.

JusticeSquee

New

Post by JusticeSquee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:I think the no cut firms will need to continue to assert some dominance over cut firms come bonus time to make it worth the PR investment. I think firms that cut will have nominal to no bonuses. I think lower level no cut firms (e.g., Morgan Lewis, DLA piper US) will do like half market bonuses or I dunno maybe a little more, and I think you’ll see like Latham etc stick with market. Maybe you’ll see Kirkland or quinn do something crazy over the top who knows.
Yeah I just don’t see firms like Kirkland, Quinn, or Weil giving out lower bonuses. I think bonuses will stay roughly the same as last year. Certain firms will not feel a significant financial hit from this downturn and may take this opportunity to truly separate themselves from the pack. The move to 190K didn’t do it because everyone else followed, this is the chance to demonstrate financial stability.

Of course, there is a chance that these greedy fucks screw us on bonuses, but I guess I’m hoping that it’s not the case here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 am

Cravath bonuses in 2009 topped out at $30,000 for senior associates. https://abovethelaw.com/2009/11/breakin ... -and-down/

By contrast, in 2007, the bonus for 1st-year associates was $35k plus a $10k "special" bonus, and $60k + $50k special for senior associates. https://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/10/29/cr ... son-begin/

I'd expect to see V20 bonuses range from $10k-50k; maybe 2-3 firms with strong years will continue to pay 2019-level bonuses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:28 am

What do you think will they do about rx associates who bill a ton this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think will they do about rx associates who bill a ton this year?
No one knows, though I suspect some firms will want to reward top billers. FWIW in 2009 Weil paid up to $50k in additional "distinguished" bonuses on top of the regular bonuses. https://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/associa ... k-bonuses/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:36 pm

My V10 firm has already telegraphed to us to expect reduced bonuses at the end of this year.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Expect same bonuses for exceptional billers (some people are busier than ever at my firm), half bonuses under a certain threshold.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My V10 firm has already telegraphed to us to expect reduced bonuses at the end of this year.
Which one? My V10 is just as busy (and busier in several groups) than before the pandemic and we've been told that our performance is stronger than this point last year. Not Kirkland or Weil. If they reduce our bonuses, I don't think it'll be because we made any less money. Likely because why pay more than they have to if rest of market is down?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

My V10 office billed more in March than in February and April is still buzzing right along. I think there’s a decent chance that bonuses go down everywhere, but there isn’t a single “market” bonus across the V50-100 or whoever usually participates in it. Our cuts might be lesser.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity for Milbank to show some leadership and establish itself as the market leader.

JusticeSquee

New

Post by JusticeSquee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My V10 office billed more in March than in February and April is still buzzing right along.
Same here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My V10 firm has already telegraphed to us to expect reduced bonuses at the end of this year.
Which one? My V10 is just as busy (and busier in several groups) than before the pandemic and we've been told that our performance is stronger than this point last year. Not Kirkland or Weil. If they reduce our bonuses, I don't think it'll be because we made any less money. Likely because why pay more than they have to if rest of market is down?
I have to admit I am confused by how associates view bonuses. They are set by external market factors (Cravath), similar to how salaries are set. Another firm having a very hot year or a very cold year doesn't top Cravath unless you are Kirkland or maybe a couple others. Firms had great years in 2012, etc. comparable to 2006-2007 but bonuses were still down by 50% or more because Cravath and other market leaders did not want to pay more. That's it.

Everyone else just follows irrespective of firm performance. At my firm, we follow Cravath because that is the prevailing market rate and they need to retain associates, not due to any sort of internal calculation of the firm's revenue for the year.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:54 pm

It's complicated. Yes, there are market forces at play. But, it's also hard for a firm to justify significant reductions in bonuses if its financials were similar (or better) than the previous year. Especially for associates that end up working more than normal due to the circumstances. Bonuses are a huge part of associate morale and firms can't be oblivious to that. That does not mean well-performing firms won't use the market as an excuse to reduce bonuses, but I just don't think its that clear cut. Obviously uncharted waters somewhat, but if I was to bet on anything, it would be bonuses to be highly variable this year between firms, and possibly within firms.

JusticeSquee

New

Post by JusticeSquee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:54 pm

ghostoftraynor wrote:It's complicated. Yes, there are market forces at play. But, it's also hard for a firm to justify significant reductions in bonuses if its financials were similar (or better) than the previous year. Especially for associates that end up working more than normal due to the circumstances. Bonuses are a huge part of associate morale and firms can't be oblivious to that. That does not mean well-performing firms won't use the market as an excuse to reduce bonuses, but I just don't think its that clear cut. Obviously uncharted waters somewhat, but if I was to bet on anything, it would be bonuses to be highly variable this year between firms, and possibly within firms.
Agreed. Associate retention still matters. Hopefully Cravath and Milbank still understand that screwing associates on bonuses will have long-term impacts.

cisscum

New

Post by cisscum » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 pm

PMan99 wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:

Yeah, we already have a roadmap for a recession. People should expect low/nominal bonuses from biglaw firms. The exceptions are for the true top like Wachtell, although even they reduced bonuses (even if they were still large). The generic V10, let alone V30, does not qualify.
Maybe im being optimistic, and I don't want to start a debate about the virus, but I don't think firms see the current situation as analogous to the financial crisis

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”