Careers in Legal Research

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Careers in Legal Research

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:21 am

Are there are any career moves to be made after biglaw lit where one spends most or all of their time doing legal research? Specifically ones that do not require getting a master's in library science (or any other additional degree)? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sporty1911

New

Re: Careers in Legal Research

Post by Sporty1911 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:30 am

Maybe working for Westlaw or Lexis?

Fireworks2016

New

Post by Fireworks2016 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are there are any career moves to be made after biglaw lit where one spends most or all of their time doing legal research? Specifically ones that do not require getting a master's in library science (or any other additional degree)? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Career Clerk to an Art. III Judge? You also have to draft opinions, but this can be a DOPE gig if you find the right judge. There are downsides (better hope your judge doesn't retire) but this is probably the best legal research-focused job that will still pay six figures and give great QoL.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there are any career moves to be made after biglaw lit where one spends most or all of their time doing legal research? Specifically ones that do not require getting a master's in library science (or any other additional degree)? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Career Clerk to an Art. III Judge? You also have to draft opinions, but this can be a DOPE gig if you find the right judge. There are downsides (better hope your judge doesn't retire) but this is probably the best legal research-focused job that will still pay six figures and give great QoL.
i thought hte only career clerks for AIII judges were those who were grandfathered in. Can they still hire career clerks?

burritotaco

New

Post by burritotaco » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:03 pm

There are lots of "law and motion attorney" jobs out there where basically all you do is write motions, memos, research, etc. Appellate work is like this as well, but much harder to get, and even harder to do it exclusively.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bllljd115

New

Post by Bllljd115 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Certain circuit courts and state appeals courts have clerks who work for the court, as opposed to individual judges, which are career-clerk type roles. For example, specialty immigration/pro se clerks in the federal courts.

I've also encountered counsel-type lawyers at mid-size firms who effectively work on a per diem basis on brief writing and research tasks, basically as a PT job, but those are late-career lawyers.

Any appellate practice in state gov or at the appellate public defender's office. You're not going to make a lot starting out though.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:05 pm

whats an updog wrote:
Fireworks2016 wrote:
i thought hte only career clerks for AIII judges were those who were grandfathered in. Can they still hire career clerks?
I thought they were limited to one per chambers, but could still have them. But I could be wrong.

Fireworks2016

New

Post by Fireworks2016 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm

nixy wrote:
whats an updog wrote:
Fireworks2016 wrote:
I thought they were limited to one per chambers, but could still have them. But I could be wrong.
That's my understanding as well -- the judges who had two career clerks are grandfathered in though. New judges can only have one.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 pm

As I understand the rules, there’s no limit on how many career clerks a judge can have. There’s a limit on how many JS14s a judge can have (one), and that rule took effect a decade or so ago. The grandfathering allows more than one JS14 per chamber if one is a career clerk who was there before the rule took effect

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:54 am

Thanks all, encouraging to hear of some jobs where I could still practice, though I wouldn’t rule out something where I couldn’t. I’m anticipating a pay cut obviously but hoping for a better qol. Honestly I just like research and writing a lot.

Aa602213x1023

New

Post by Aa602213x1023 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:54 am

Look at Legislative Attorney openings at the Congressional Research Service.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”