Finding Employment during COVID 19

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finding Employment during COVID 19

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Graduated in 2019 and haven't been employed. Had a couple of interviews but no offers so far. Where can I find a job as a recently admitted attorney? Do small law firms typically hire recently admitted attorneys? I know it's hard to find employment now because of COVID but in a world without COVID, do firms hire attorneys with "no experience?" How can I land a job that will help me jump start my legal career?

RedGiant

Re: Finding Employment during COVID 19

Post by RedGiant » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 pm

Well...let's back up a bit. Sounds as though you've been jobsearching for nearly a year?

Have you evaluated what might be holding you back?
Grades?
Resume? / Cover Letter?
Lack of pre-law work experience or substantive internships in law school?
Attempts to find jobs that your profile doesn't fit?
Change in geography?
Language abilities?
Bar passage?
Immigration status/work authorization?
Lack of practice at interviewing or creating a compelling story for your career arc and future goals?
Have you worked on mock interviews with a friend?
Have you spoken with your law school about fellowships and fully utilized your career center?
Have you networked with alumni and when you've done so, do you have a compelling "elevator pitch" and a specific ask that they can help with?
Have you kept in touch with classmates and requested help or tips on job openings?
Have you asked clinic professors or classroom professors for help?
Have you volunteered with local organizations?
How have you filled your (pre-COVID) time?
Are you dead-set on getting a legal job?
Have you applied to legal-adjacent jobs like compliance jobs?

If you can provide more color on where you are, what you've done, and what you want to do, people can be of more help. There are entry-level jobs, they are hiring (although there's going to be a huge glut of 2020 grads, so....), but you need to figure out how your current approach is not fruitful so you can adjust and fix your jobsearch strategies.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:45 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
Anonymous User wrote:Graduated in 2019 and haven't been employed. Had a couple of interviews but no offers so far. Where can I find a job as a recently admitted attorney? Do small law firms typically hire recently admitted attorneys? I know it's hard to find employment now because of COVID but in a world without COVID, do firms hire attorneys with "no experience?" How can I land a job that will help me jump start my legal career?
What have you been doing for the past year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:04 pm

I really started looking for jobs in August after the Bar. I applied to jobs at federal agencies and law clerk positions. I passed the Bar in a UBE jurisdiction and then decided to take the Bar in CA this past February hoping to expand my career opportunities. Am just working on pro bono stuff now. This job search is just bad :(

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really started looking for jobs in August after the Bar. I applied to jobs at federal agencies and law clerk positions. I passed the Bar in a UBE jurisdiction and then decided to take the Bar in CA this past February hoping to expand my career opportunities. Am just working on pro bono stuff now. This job search is just bad :(
Were you getting any bites? How geographically flexible are you now? What type of school did you go to? How did you do there? Where did you intern? How picky are you being?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:37 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I really started looking for jobs in August after the Bar. I applied to jobs at federal agencies and law clerk positions. I passed the Bar in a UBE jurisdiction and then decided to take the Bar in CA this past February hoping to expand my career opportunities. Am just working on pro bono stuff now. This job search is just bad :(
Were you getting any bites? How geographically flexible are you now? What type of school did you go to? How did you do there? Where did you intern? How picky are you being?
Well I can be flexible with location, but I’m just licensed in one state now. Many jobs require you to be “currently admitted to that jurisdiction” so it’s hard to apply for the job because transferring my UBE score would take time etc. I went to a T2 school and did ok, was on journal and got published too. I was a research assistant during my 1L summer and interned at a federal agency during 2L summer. I got interviews but no offers yet.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well I can be flexible with location, but I’m just licensed in one state now. Many jobs require you to be “currently admitted to that jurisdiction” so it’s hard to apply for the job because transferring my UBE score would take time etc.
Hmm - maybe find some way of mentioning on your CV or cover letter that you've "passed the bar" in that state? That would put you at an advantage over a candidate who still needs to take the bar (which both entails further delay and also the risk of not passing).

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Well I can be flexible with location, but I’m just licensed in one state now. Many jobs require you to be “currently admitted to that jurisdiction” so it’s hard to apply for the job because transferring my UBE score would take time etc. I went to a T2 school and did ok, was on journal and got published too. I was a research assistant during my 1L summer and interned at a federal agency during 2L summer. I got interviews but no offers yet.
Have you gotten interview feedback from your CSO?

Are you applying to enough places?

What is it specifically that you want to do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”