2020 Amlaw 100

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 357487
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2020 Amlaw 100

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:09 pm

Can a good Samaritan please post the list for the rest of us to dissect?

onlineking88

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by onlineking88 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Sorry for the formatting, but here it is:

1. Kirkland & Ellis $4,154,600,000.00
2. Latham & Watkins $3,767,623,000.00
3. DLA Piper $3,112,130,000.00
4. Baker McKenzie $2,920,000,000.00
5. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom $2,632,615,000.00
6. Sidley Austin $2,337,803,000.00
7. Morgan, Lewis & Bockius $2,265,000,000.00
8. Hogan Lovells $2,246,050,000.00
9. White & Case $2,184,850,000.00
10. Jones Day $2,077,000,000.00
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher $2,008,334,000.00
Norton Rose Fulbright $1,904,019,000.00
Ropes & Gray $1,903,616,000.00
Greenberg Traurig $1,641,790,000.00
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett $1,618,633,000.00
Weil, Gotshal & Manges $1,517,889,000.00
Mayer Brown $1,484,000,000.00
Sullivan & Cromwell $1,467,398,000.00
Davis Polk & Wardwell $1,444,000,000.00
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison $1,387,694,000.00
King & Spalding $1,338,607,000.00
Goodwin Procter $1,330,176,000.00
Cooley $1,329,329,000.00
Paul Hastings $1,268,910,000.00
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan $1,252,062,000.00
Reed Smith $1,246,926,000.00
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton $1,211,009,000.00
Covington & Burling $1,187,388,000.00
Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr $1,184,336,000.00
McDermott Will & Emery $1,172,114,000.00
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe $1,158,537,000.00
Morrison & Foerster $1,147,200,000.00
Dechert $1,135,502,000.00
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld $1,135,014,000.00
Milbank $1,069,027,000.00
Debevoise & Plimpton $1,049,459,000.00
Squire Patton Boggs $1,035,000,000.00
Holland & Knight $1,026,809,000.00
K&L Gates $1,026,626,000.00
Winston & Strawn $1,012,310,000.00
Proskauer Rose $1,004,942,000.00
Shearman & Sterling $968,164,000.00
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati $961,000,000.00
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer $951,900,000.00
Perkins Coie $934,810,000.00
Foley & Lardner $920,427,000.00
Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz $882,086,000.00
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner $869,057,000.00
Willkie Farr & Gallagher $868,000,000.00
McGuireWoods $853,505,000.00
Alston & Bird $835,865,000.00
O’Melveny & Myers $835,342,000.00
Cravath, Swaine & Moore $799,555,000.00
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton $799,139,000.00
Vinson & Elkins $792,597,000.00
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson $776,000,000.00
Hunton Andrews Kurth (2) $756,000,000.00
Baker Botts $751,070,000.00
Baker & Hostetler $732,494,000.00
Seyfarth Shaw $717,370,000.00
Fragomen $701,787,000.00
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman $677,320,000.00
Katten Muchin Rosenman $669,709,000.00
Venable $657,038,000.00
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith $642,000,000.00
Littler Mendelson $590,038,000.00
Polsinelli $580,437,000.00
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough $557,987,000.00
Fox Rothschild (2) $555,000,000.00
Troutman Sanders $549,617,000.00
Faegre Baker Daniels (1) $521,138,000.00
Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart $520,099,000.00
Cozen O’Connor $517,301,000.00
Duane Morris $510,341,000.00
Nixon Peabody $505,520,000.00
Locke Lord $496,433,000.00
Jackson Lewis $486,149,000.00
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton $478,817,000.00
Womble Bond Dickinson $475,723,000.00
Blank Rome $474,010,000.00
Fish & Richardson $472,232,000.00
Fenwick & West $471,935,000.00
Barnes & Thornburg $466,740,000.00
Schulte Roth & Zabel $465,177,000.00
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo (2) $460,300,000.00
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft $459,020,000.00
Jenner & Block $448,005,000.00
Akerman $436,098,000.00
Crowell & Moring $433,364,000.00
Drinker Biddle & Reath (1) $431,075,000.00
Ballard Spahr $420,935,000.00
Davis Wright Tremaine $414,144,000.00
Boies Schiller Flexner $405,000,000.00
Haynes and Boone $404,300,000.00
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel $398,000,000.00
Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani $393,140,000.00
Cahill Gordon & Reindel $387,800,000.00
Dorsey & Whitney $387,184,000.00
Steptoe & Johnson $383,267,000.00
Husch Blackwell $380,303,000.00

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 am

This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.

Ultramar vistas

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:55 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by Ultramar vistas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:12 am

QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
And this shouldn’t be surprising, right? I mean, the amlaw 100 is literally just the top firms by revenue.

Vault is the indirect result of all the lawyers vaguely knowing how much money all the firms make and then applying a filter so that we aren’t pretending DLA Piper is a good firm.

objctnyrhnr

Moderator
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 am

Ultramar vistas wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
And this shouldn’t be surprising, right? I mean, the amlaw 100 is literally just the top firms by revenue.

Vault is the indirect result of all the lawyers vaguely knowing how much money all the firms make and then applying a filter so that we aren’t pretending DLA Piper is a good firm.
I’ve always felt like the aggressive anti DLA trolling that you see from time to time is sort of baseless. Is it anywhere near number 3 if prestige is factored in? Probably not.

But it’s got its fortune 100 clients and hys grads and former fedclerks just like the rest of them, it pays lockstep market, no cuts to US associates even where like baker McKenzie is doing so aggressively. Its revenue per lawyer hovers around what like a million, which is respectable. Contrast that again with baker Mackenzie which has less revenue and way more lawyers. And yet you see relatively way more DLA hate than baker Mackenzie hate. What am I missing?

At the risk of derailing the thread just wondering why you see hate on DLA from time to time on tls...unless, here, by “good firm” you mean “top 10 prestige wise” then I suppose I hear you. But using the word “good” suggests you think it sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


JusticeSquee

Bronze
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by JusticeSquee » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:13 am

QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
I don't know if I would go that far Q. The Vault still has a horribly flawed methodology. No one is claiming that pure revenue is a good gauge of a firm's financial health. Rather, folks should be looking at three metrics.

(1) PPP (or Profit Margin)

https://imgur.com/a/vZC5wGp

(2) RPL (which many regard as the best measure of financial health)

https://imgur.com/gallery/A3ozUJI

(3) AmLaw's "Super Rich" (which rankings both PPP and PPL)

https://imgur.com/gallery/cwgfZg1

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:00 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
And this shouldn’t be surprising, right? I mean, the amlaw 100 is literally just the top firms by revenue.

Vault is the indirect result of all the lawyers vaguely knowing how much money all the firms make and then applying a filter so that we aren’t pretending DLA Piper is a good firm.
I’ve always felt like the aggressive anti DLA trolling that you see from time to time is sort of baseless. Is it anywhere near number 3 if prestige is factored in? Probably not.

But it’s got its fortune 100 clients and hys grads and former fedclerks just like the rest of them, it pays lockstep market, no cuts to US associates even where like baker McKenzie is doing so aggressively. Its revenue per lawyer hovers around what like a million, which is respectable. Contrast that again with baker Mackenzie which has less revenue and way more lawyers. And yet you see relatively way more DLA hate than baker Mackenzie hate. What am I missing?

At the risk of derailing the thread just wondering why you see hate on DLA from time to time on tls...unless, here, by “good firm” you mean “top 10 prestige wise” then I suppose I hear you. But using the word “good” suggests you think it sucks.
Does DLA pay lockstep? For some reason, I thought they just did 190 and weren't lockstep after. Doesn't the trolling go back to Desert Fox or was there something else?

objctnyrhnr

Moderator
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
And this shouldn’t be surprising, right? I mean, the amlaw 100 is literally just the top firms by revenue.

Vault is the indirect result of all the lawyers vaguely knowing how much money all the firms make and then applying a filter so that we aren’t pretending DLA Piper is a good firm.
I’ve always felt like the aggressive anti DLA trolling that you see from time to time is sort of baseless. Is it anywhere near number 3 if prestige is factored in? Probably not.

But it’s got its fortune 100 clients and hys grads and former fedclerks just like the rest of them, it pays lockstep market, no cuts to US associates even where like baker McKenzie is doing so aggressively. Its revenue per lawyer hovers around what like a million, which is respectable. Contrast that again with baker Mackenzie which has less revenue and way more lawyers. And yet you see relatively way more DLA hate than baker Mackenzie hate. What am I missing?

At the risk of derailing the thread just wondering why you see hate on DLA from time to time on tls...unless, here, by “good firm” you mean “top 10 prestige wise” then I suppose I hear you. But using the word “good” suggests you think it sucks.
Does DLA pay lockstep? For some reason, I thought they just did 190 and weren't lockstep after. Doesn't the trolling go back to Desert Fox or was there something else?
They do, and in all markets I believe, as I remember seeing it on ATL when they were all boosting to milbank level.

Now DLA was a bad offender when it all hit the fan in 09 or whatever and it got some deservedly bad press I remember (and somebody posted an atl compilation on another thread recently that I reread). That being said, so was Latham.

It kind of seems like all of tls decided to get together some years ago and find some random v20-v50 firm to shit on and DLA’s name came out of the hat and it’s been like a running joke since then.

I mean you have some firms that deserve it like JD (black box and somehow gets away with it, serious allegations of mistreatment of women/parents), cadwalader (everybody knows it sucks to work there), and maybe one or two others I’m forgetting...but yeah I just don’t get it with DLA, especially when you compare it to baker McKenzie which is similar in size but notably worse in pretty much every category and there’s no hate.

Intro-gamer

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:20 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by Intro-gamer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:56 am

QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
I know this is probably a silly question, but are firms that have announced pay cuts thus far decidedly in a worse financial position than those that haven't? I ask because I can't tell if some of these firms are just being proactive in cushioning the financial blow that the pandemic will inflict, or if it's more a move of necessity for firms, stemming from financials that were shaky even before the pandemic.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


jm2819

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by jm2819 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
I know this is probably a silly question, but are firms that have announced pay cuts thus far decidedly in a worse financial position than those that haven't? I ask because I can't tell if some of these firms are just being proactive in cushioning the financial blow that the pandemic will inflict, or if it's more a move of necessity for firms, stemming from financials that were shaky even before the pandemic.
It's probably a little of both. At least some firms that have already come forward were probably on shaky ground before the pandemic. But I think if a firm knows that they can't operate without pay cuts/deferrals, it's prudent to announce cuts/deferrals early.

Anonymous User
Posts: 357487
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:05 am

A word of caution about profit margin. Some firms have very high profit margins because they focus on high margin practices, because they have armies of non-equity partners billed out at partner rates but not paid as partners (in K&E's case), and/or because of their billing model (in Wachtell's case).

Other firms have high margins because they are extraordinarily stingy (by biglaw standards) and underpay staff (or don't fill vacancies at all), offer crappy benefits, nickel and dime associates on reimbursements (for meals and other expenses), etc. This is great if you're a partner, but not so much if you're anyone else at the firm. Being stingy in normal times also means that, if things go sour, there aren't really any costs that you can cut further.

For these firms, being stingy also inflates PPP. Some of the stingy firms in the top 20 by PPP would drop out of the top 20 if they had profit margins that are closer to the median for the top 20 (50ish%). So, high profit margin and high PPP, by themselves, don't tell you that much about a firm's business.

Anon because I obviously work at a stingy high profit margin firm.

cjm2018

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:36 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by cjm2018 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:46 am

Anyone see that W&C dropped out of the 100? Seems strange and would reflect an ~10% drop in yearly revenue for a V20.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

User avatar
Raiden

Bronze
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by Raiden » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:16 pm

jm2819 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
I know this is probably a silly question, but are firms that have announced pay cuts thus far decidedly in a worse financial position than those that haven't? I ask because I can't tell if some of these firms are just being proactive in cushioning the financial blow that the pandemic will inflict, or if it's more a move of necessity for firms, stemming from financials that were shaky even before the pandemic.
It's probably a little of both. At least some firms that have already come forward were probably on shaky ground before the pandemic. But I think if a firm knows that they can't operate without pay cuts/deferrals, it's prudent to announce cuts/deferrals early.
I think it’s hard to say. L&E firms which are busy right now have experienced pay cuts. I feel like it’s more about being proactive and about the industry revenue is coming from and determining how impacted you may be.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


ghostoftraynor

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by ghostoftraynor » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A word of caution about profit margin. Some firms have very high profit margins because they focus on high margin practices, because they have armies of non-equity partners billed out at partner rates but not paid as partners (in K&E's case), and/or because of their billing model (in Wachtell's case).

Other firms have high margins because they are extraordinarily stingy (by biglaw standards) and underpay staff (or don't fill vacancies at all), offer crappy benefits, nickel and dime associates on reimbursements (for meals and other expenses), etc. This is great if you're a partner, but not so much if you're anyone else at the firm. Being stingy in normal times also means that, if things go sour, there aren't really any costs that you can cut further.

For these firms, being stingy also inflates PPP. Some of the stingy firms in the top 20 by PPP would drop out of the top 20 if they had profit margins that are closer to the median for the top 20 (50ish%). So, high profit margin and high PPP, by themselves, don't tell you that much about a firm's business.

Anon because I obviously work at a stingy high profit margin firm.
I don't think this is right. Top firms have generally the same costs (same salaries, office space needs etc), but billing rates differ significantly. Some firms also have a lot more work and associates have higher average hours. Billing rate X average hours is by far the biggest driver. Being cheap isn't not materially moving the needle for anyone.

User avatar
bajablast

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by bajablast » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:23 pm

Anyone have the PPP numbers? I bless whoever shares them
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

objctnyrhnr

Moderator
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Thoughts on PPP vs RPL as metric of strength?

Ultramar vistas

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:55 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by Ultramar vistas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:26 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
And this shouldn’t be surprising, right? I mean, the amlaw 100 is literally just the top firms by revenue.

Vault is the indirect result of all the lawyers vaguely knowing how much money all the firms make and then applying a filter so that we aren’t pretending DLA Piper is a good firm.
I’ve always felt like the aggressive anti DLA trolling that you see from time to time is sort of baseless. Is it anywhere near number 3 if prestige is factored in? Probably not.

But it’s got its fortune 100 clients and hys grads and former fedclerks just like the rest of them, it pays lockstep market, no cuts to US associates even where like baker McKenzie is doing so aggressively. Its revenue per lawyer hovers around what like a million, which is respectable. Contrast that again with baker Mackenzie which has less revenue and way more lawyers. And yet you see relatively way more DLA hate than baker Mackenzie hate. What am I missing?

At the risk of derailing the thread just wondering why you see hate on DLA from time to time on tls...unless, here, by “good firm” you mean “top 10 prestige wise” then I suppose I hear you. But using the word “good” suggests you think it sucks.
Honestly wasn’t meaning to “troll” DLA Piper - it’s just the first objectively non-prestigious firm I saw on the AmLaw 100 list that I don’t think most associates are ranking highly on vault. It’s a fine place to work I’m sure, but it was just the first good example that I saw (as are a bunch of other firms) of raw revenue needing at least one other factor to come up with a decent list.

Agree with the poster above, the AmLaw Super Rich is probably the best proxy for what vault is trying to capture, while keeping emotions and the opinions of first year associates out of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


objctnyrhnr

Moderator
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Ultramar vistas wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
And this shouldn’t be surprising, right? I mean, the amlaw 100 is literally just the top firms by revenue.

Vault is the indirect result of all the lawyers vaguely knowing how much money all the firms make and then applying a filter so that we aren’t pretending DLA Piper is a good firm.
I’ve always felt like the aggressive anti DLA trolling that you see from time to time is sort of baseless. Is it anywhere near number 3 if prestige is factored in? Probably not.

But it’s got its fortune 100 clients and hys grads and former fedclerks just like the rest of them, it pays lockstep market, no cuts to US associates even where like baker McKenzie is doing so aggressively. Its revenue per lawyer hovers around what like a million, which is respectable. Contrast that again with baker Mackenzie which has less revenue and way more lawyers. And yet you see relatively way more DLA hate than baker Mackenzie hate. What am I missing?

At the risk of derailing the thread just wondering why you see hate on DLA from time to time on tls...unless, here, by “good firm” you mean “top 10 prestige wise” then I suppose I hear you. But using the word “good” suggests you think it sucks.
Honestly wasn’t meaning to “troll” DLA Piper - it’s just the first objectively non-prestigious firm I saw on the AmLaw 100 list that I don’t think most associates are ranking highly on vault. It’s a fine place to work I’m sure, but it was just the first good example that I saw (as are a bunch of other firms) of raw revenue needing at least one other factor to come up with a decent list.

Agree with the poster above, the AmLaw Super Rich is probably the best proxy for what vault is trying to capture, while keeping emotions and the opinions of first year associates out of it.
Ah so by good, you meant “elite” basically. Makes sense I suppose. Still interested more generally on why the tls DLA piper hate (although it’s dissipated in recent years), as I feel like there’s a good story or something behind it because it’s not super warranted from what I can see on the numbers...interested in what the desert fox reference was from a different poster in that subject.

jackshunger

Bronze
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:27 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by jackshunger » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Those Goldman bucks are really helping S&C partners out hmm. I'd be very interested to see how much this changes next year, seems like there could be drastic changes.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:54 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
QContinuum wrote:This really goes to show that Vault still has its advantages over the AmLaw rankings. No firm in the Vault top 30 - let alone the V10 - has announced pay cuts, salary freezes or layoffs for associates - yet 2 in the AmLaw top 10 have.
And this shouldn’t be surprising, right? I mean, the amlaw 100 is literally just the top firms by revenue.

Vault is the indirect result of all the lawyers vaguely knowing how much money all the firms make and then applying a filter so that we aren’t pretending DLA Piper is a good firm.
I’ve always felt like the aggressive anti DLA trolling that you see from time to time is sort of baseless. Is it anywhere near number 3 if prestige is factored in? Probably not.

But it’s got its fortune 100 clients and hys grads and former fedclerks just like the rest of them, it pays lockstep market, no cuts to US associates even where like baker McKenzie is doing so aggressively. Its revenue per lawyer hovers around what like a million, which is respectable. Contrast that again with baker Mackenzie which has less revenue and way more lawyers. And yet you see relatively way more DLA hate than baker Mackenzie hate. What am I missing?

At the risk of derailing the thread just wondering why you see hate on DLA from time to time on tls...unless, here, by “good firm” you mean “top 10 prestige wise” then I suppose I hear you. But using the word “good” suggests you think it sucks.
Honestly wasn’t meaning to “troll” DLA Piper - it’s just the first objectively non-prestigious firm I saw on the AmLaw 100 list that I don’t think most associates are ranking highly on vault. It’s a fine place to work I’m sure, but it was just the first good example that I saw (as are a bunch of other firms) of raw revenue needing at least one other factor to come up with a decent list.

Agree with the poster above, the AmLaw Super Rich is probably the best proxy for what vault is trying to capture, while keeping emotions and the opinions of first year associates out of it.
Ah so by good, you meant “elite” basically. Makes sense I suppose. Still interested more generally on why the tls DLA piper hate (although it’s dissipated in recent years), as I feel like there’s a good story or something behind it because it’s not super warranted from what I can see on the numbers...interested in what the desert fox reference was from a different poster in that subject.
I don't have any specific stories related to DF, but as you know he was one of the more prolific and entertaining posters. I believe he was at DLA in DC and others would often troll and make V42 jokes about DLA.

Sackboy

Bronze
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by Sackboy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:02 pm

I enjoy the "Super Rich" list solely because it puts Cravath in its place. I've been a preacher for a long time that Cravath just isn't special anymore. Their day-long interviews and straight out of law school hiring are gimmicks more than anything else. At my T13, half of the firms above it (and even a few below it) on the "Super Rich" list were far more selective at OCI. There are now 13 firms with a higher PPP with the 4 or so ranked after it at essentially the same PPP, and quite a few firms that have RPL above, at, or only slighly below Cravath's level.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


objctnyrhnr

Moderator
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Sackboy wrote:I enjoy the "Super Rich" list solely because it puts Cravath in its place. I've been a preacher for a long time that Cravath just isn't special anymore. Their day-long interviews and straight out of law school hiring are gimmicks more than anything else. At my T13, half of the firms above it (and even a few below it) on the "Super Rich" list were far more selective at OCI. There are now 13 firms with a higher PPP with the 4 or so ranked after it at essentially the same PPP, and quite a few firms that have RPL above, at, or only slighly below Cravath's level.
What’s that list? Anybody care to copy and paste?

User avatar
tuesdayninja

Bronze
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by tuesdayninja » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:36 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Sackboy wrote:I enjoy the "Super Rich" list solely because it puts Cravath in its place. I've been a preacher for a long time that Cravath just isn't special anymore. Their day-long interviews and straight out of law school hiring are gimmicks more than anything else. At my T13, half of the firms above it (and even a few below it) on the "Super Rich" list were far more selective at OCI. There are now 13 firms with a higher PPP with the 4 or so ranked after it at essentially the same PPP, and quite a few firms that have RPL above, at, or only slighly below Cravath's level.
What’s that list? Anybody care to copy and paste?
https://infogram.com/am-law-100-super-r ... on5myp72pw

lifeasa2l

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by lifeasa2l » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:12 pm

jackshunger wrote:Those Goldman bucks are really helping S&C partners out hmm. I'd be very interested to see how much this changes next year, seems like there could be drastic changes.
Care to elaborate?
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

LBJ's Hair

Silver
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: 2020 Amlaw 100

Post by LBJ's Hair » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:23 pm

Sackboy wrote:I enjoy the "Super Rich" list solely because it puts Cravath in its place. I've been a preacher for a long time that Cravath just isn't special anymore. Their day-long interviews and straight out of law school hiring are gimmicks more than anything else. At my T13, half of the firms above it (and even a few below it) on the "Super Rich" list were far more selective at OCI. There are now 13 firms with a higher PPP with the 4 or so ranked after it at essentially the same PPP, and quite a few firms that have RPL above, at, or only slighly below Cravath's level.
The day-long interviews are stupid, as is the firm's (seemingly) sincere belief that they're more elite than everyone except WLRK. Like guys, it's not 1991.

That said, I like the single-office model, focus on developing from within and investing in juniors. The Kirkland approach is terrible for everyone except rainmaker partners. Like if Ayn Rand ran a law firm.
Last edited by LBJ's Hair on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”