Chicago firm hierarchy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago firm hierarchy

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:42 pm

What's the current hierarchy for Chicago law firms (only litigation)? Which place is the best training ground for a new associate?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Chicago firm hierarchy

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the current hierarchy for Chicago law firms (only litigation)? Which place is the best training ground for a new associate?
Idk if there is such a thing as best training ground since they all generally train the same. I think the answer for both are the two main boutiques, Bartlitt Beck and Goldman Ismail. But those generally don't take summers and hire clerks.

Of the big law firms, I think of it mostly in tiers.

My personal opinion for lit, tier 1 is Sidley, Winston, Kirkland, and Jenner.

Below them Mayer, McDermott, and Katten. Schiff and Riley Safer probably right below them. Although Riley Safer has some good work around white collar.

Just using Chicago based firms above. Obviously Skadden, Latham and Jones Day are up there as well.

Sackboy

Bronze

Post by Sackboy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:30 pm

+1 to Trebek. Solid tier list and absolutely correct in saying that training is largely similar. The only distinction for training is that it's probably on an accelerated timeline at the litigation boutiques compared to the biglaw firms. If you're a quick learner, that's great for you. If you're not, that's not so great.

I'd also add Eimer Stahl to the list of great Chicago lit boutiques that "don't take summers and hire clerks." ES is stacked with T13 grads with honors, and 1/3 of their lawyers have a DCt/COA clerkships (one even has a SCOTUS clerkship). When they do hire straight out of law school, it's near top of the class (3.85+), iirc.

bajablast

New

Post by bajablast » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Jenner, Winston, and Mayer used to be big law litigation power houses but they have taken a step back over the years. They typically have smaller classes and pay less than Kirkland and Sidley.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:03 am

bajablast wrote:Jenner, Winston, and Mayer used to be big law litigation power houses but they have taken a step back over the years. They typically have smaller classes and pay less than Kirkland and Sidley.
For corporate they are definitely behind Kirkland and Sidley, but I think Jenner and Winston are still equal when it comes to lit. They are still handling major cases with huge fortune 500 clients. Also, they are all lockstep firms. Although Jenner has been hedging on salary increases lately. Kirkland obviously beats them all with bonuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:20 pm

Curious for the Chicago lit lawyers here: do you have an intuition on whether magna from UChicago and two good federal clerkships, though not with feeders, is enough to have a snowball’s chance in hell at Bartlit Beck? Would I need a vote of confidence from Mortara (almost certainly not going to happen)?

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 01, 2020 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Curious for the Chicago lit lawyers here: do you have an intuition on whether magna from UChicago and two good federal clerkships, though not with feeders, is enough to have a snowball’s chance in hell at Bartlit Beck? Would I need a vote of confidence from Mortara (almost certainly not going to happen)?
UChicago doesn't do Latin honors so that would be pretty impressive :lol:

Yeah, of course top-10% at Chicago and two federal clerkships gets you to a point where they'll at least read the rest of your resume. Law Review probably also necessary. You'd still need some kind of hook, and some luck, to actually clinch it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”