Career Advice: Moving to SC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Career Advice: Moving to SC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am

Due to a seismic shift in my life, I will have to move to South Carolina (family reasons). I don’t know if my general credentials help (T-10 grad —> V-50 in Major Market), as SC appears to be fairly insular, and I have no ties outside of family being there.

Are there any biglaw/ major law firms in South Carolina that are recommended? Any chance SC has boutique litigation firms that do well? Finally, does anyone have information on any of South Carolina’s AUSA/Federal Defender offices?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Career Advice: Moving to SC

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 pm

Feasible to stay at your current firm and work remotely? We have a handful of associates that work remotely in distant states. They come into the office for a few days every month. These folks are all pretty senior, so had some built up good will before they made these moves.

Anonymous User

Re: Career Advice: Moving to SC

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Anon bc I applied to SC firms during law school hiring.

It really depends which tertiary market you’re talking about. For Charleston, there are major satellite offices for firms like K&L Gates as well as some more regional firm presence.

If you’re looking at more Greenville or Columbia, there are also one or two small offices of national firms and the local heavy hitters. If you’re looking here, consider a firm like Wyche that is small, but is generally regarded very highly in the SC market.

Family ties to the area generally, even through marriage, can be very convincing if sold the right way. I lived in SC for one year well before law school and married someone with family connections to Clemson, but that was it. I was received pretty well because I could speak to the dynamics of life in the state and my reasons for wanting to be there.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”