BK Assoc Move

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BK Assoc Move

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:25 am

Hi all,

I am a midlevel restructuring associate and I have an offer and am thinking about leaving one of the marquee debtor shops (weil, kirkland, etc) to join one of the marquee creditor shops (milbank, Davis Polk, etc).

Can anyone with pertinent experience give their thoughts on making that transition, if they were happy with it, and the best ways to prepare for that switch to be successful? Thanks,

Anonymous User

Re: BK Assoc Move

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Anyone with any relevant experience or info?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:29 pm

Worked at at one creditor shop you mentioned and now sitting at more sponsor/creditor-leaning shop (although we have picked more and more debtor work after the arrival of a major partner). Happy to answer questions but obviously haven't done a debtor to creditor transition.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Worked at at one creditor shop you mentioned and now sitting at more sponsor/creditor-leaning shop (although we have picked more and more debtor work after the arrival of a major partner). Happy to answer questions but obviously haven't done a debtor to creditor transition.
Did you like it? Why did you leave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Worked at at one creditor shop you mentioned and now sitting at more sponsor/creditor-leaning shop (although we have picked more and more debtor work after the arrival of a major partner). Happy to answer questions but obviously haven't done a debtor to creditor transition.
Did you like it? Why did you leave?
Yup really enjoyed the practice and loved the people. But wanted more sponsor/hedge fund work (which my current firm has more of given its corporate clients). Prior firm has historically been a bank shop, although they're picking up more and more fund work (albeit largely through one partner). I like creditor/sponsor work a lot more. Debtor stuff can be fun when I like the management and I'm only on one. Can't imagine what life must be like working on multiple debtor matters at once.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”