Summer Internships and Corona

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jeagle88

New

Summer Internships and Corona

Post by jeagle88 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Has anyone had their summer internship cancelled yet because of the virus? I am just curious.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Re: Summer Internships and Corona

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:36 am

Have not heard about this happening yet, and I am pretty sure this is low on every firm's priority list. Most places are focused on keeping their wheels turning at the moment.

sbdxaric

New

Post by sbdxaric » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:35 pm

I have heard that some firms are discussing cancellations or deferments. I have also heard that some are preparing to conduct their summer programs remotely.

Not a good time to be a 1L or 2L I suppose.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

LS989

New

Post by LS989 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have heard that some firms are discussing cancellations or deferments. I have also heard that some are preparing to conduct their summer programs remotely.

Not a good time to be a 1L or 2L I suppose.
Which firms have you heard of that are considering cancelling or deferring? I have heard rumors of modified or pushed back programs, but what you mentioned seems far more extreme.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:33 am

V20 emailed SAs firm wide last week notifying us that no changes to summer have been considered yet but they will evaluate as the situation progresses. Hard for me to imagine that the first couple weeks in May won't be impacted in some way but for now it was a nice reassurance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:09 pm

I saw almost the exact same message a few days ago from a firm in the 30-40 range.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Covington and Burling said full steam ahead and program will go virtual if needed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Jones Day has also said they intend for their program to go forward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:34 pm

Same with Latham

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DC2NY2x

New

Post by DC2NY2x » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:32 pm

My firm sent out an email essentially saying "we plan to still have our summer program, we look forward to working with you", but this was 2 days ago and who knows how the situation will progress in the next 2, 10, or 60 days.

FWIW V50 major market

Birdman1330

New

Post by Birdman1330 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:57 pm

The virus poses a substantial threat, but with new drugs coming available, which have been used successfully in China to halt the spread and basically slowly re-open the economy, things will probably improve faster than we think.

Firms are already considering delaying recruitment for 1Ls until next year - aka Skadden - so that will probably cushion the blow for incoming 2Ls this year in terms of cancellation of summer classes and the potential of no offers.

There is much yet to been seen, but there are reasons to be optimistic.
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:35 pm

FWIW Akin Gump just emailed somewhat cryptically informing us that they still intend to have a summer program but that it "likely" won't start in May

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:46 pm

My V5 emailed to state that they were looking forward to seeing us in the summer, so make of that what you will

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hengha12

New

Post by hengha12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm

My V5 just emailed saying summer will be delayed and any oversees split canceled. Incredibly annoying for logistics. Will see.

joooookchang

New

Post by joooookchang » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 am

Is there a possibility that firms will postpone the starting date and have their internship continue thru August? What a logistical nightmare.

Pennoyer v. Meh

New

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:44 am

joooookchang wrote:Is there a possibility that firms will postpone the starting date and have their internship continue thru August? What a logistical nightmare.
Something like that wouldn't shock me. Firms with students on a quarter system already had them starting in June and going until the 1st/2d week of August; now they can just do approximately that for everyone.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm

joooookchang wrote:Is there a possibility that firms will postpone the starting date and have their internship continue thru August? What a logistical nightmare.
If OCI gets delayed to January (which seems highly likely now that Columbia has already delayed) then yes I would expect it’s highly likely that summer programs are also delayed. That assumes that stay at home orders are lifted of course.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 pm

If summer programs are delayed or suspended, do lateral clerks coming into the V10 have a better shot of not getting laid off/offers pulled?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If summer programs are delayed or suspended, do lateral clerks coming into the V10 have a better shot of not getting laid off/offers pulled?

Not sure how they would relate to each other since summers wouldn't be starting full time until Fall 2021 anyways. I do think clerks should be ok since it seems like litigation and labor/employment are going to be busy.

AnonCanary123

New

Post by AnonCanary123 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm

My AM Law 200 firm just cancelled its summer internship program firm-wide. Granted our firm is not a V5 or whatever, but I could definitely see this trend pop up elsewhere. This thread so far has mentioned only the biggest/most profitable law firms; for the smaller law firms, they may find it more prudent to cut costs somehow in this turbulent time.

I mean hell, I'm concerned for my own job security at this rate. Courts have closed and cases have ground to a standstill. I'm sure there is litigation going on - particularly for insurance coverage based on Coronavirus, but these are pretty dark times ahead.

xxxcccc

New

Post by xxxcccc » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:59 pm

AnonCanary123 wrote:My AM Law 200 firm just cancelled its summer internship program firm-wide. Granted our firm is not a V5 or whatever, but I could definitely see this trend pop up elsewhere. This thread so far has mentioned only the biggest/most profitable law firms; for the smaller law firms, they may find it more prudent to cut costs somehow in this turbulent time.

I mean hell, I'm concerned for my own job security at this rate. Courts have closed and cases have ground to a standstill. I'm sure there is litigation going on - particularly for insurance coverage based on Coronavirus, but these are pretty dark times ahead.
well fuck

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hal471

New

Post by hal471 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 pm

AnonCanary123 wrote:My AM Law 200 firm just cancelled its summer internship program firm-wide. Granted our firm is not a V5 or whatever, but I could definitely see this trend pop up elsewhere. This thread so far has mentioned only the biggest/most profitable law firms; for the smaller law firms, they may find it more prudent to cut costs somehow in this turbulent time.

Did they throw any stipend / compensation / hint of future full time offer your way or just straight cancellation?

AnonCanary123

New

Post by AnonCanary123 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:08 pm

hal471 wrote:

Did they throw any stipend / compensation / hint of future full time offer your way or just straight cancellation?
I wasn't clear in the prior post but I am an associate, not any of the summer interns that my firm reneged on. Based on the email though, I don't think there will be compensation for those summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 am

This sucks dude.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:

This sucks dude.
You’ll be jealous of her soon enough. Earlier you are let go from the summer program the more time you have to find another way to spend three months. When half of the V100 gets their summer scrapped or no offered they’ll wish it was sooner.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”