Jackson Lewis? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jackson Lewis?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:00 pm

It's my understanding Jackson Lewis is opening a new office in CA. Anyone know what the starting salary would be. I know it's below market, but how much, $140k? For anyone working here, how is the culture like, are the hours still pretty reasonable or is it as rough as any other big law firm? Any other perks of working here?

Anonymous User

Re: Jackson Lewis?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:32 pm

1st year in smaller California location (think OC, San Diego, Sac) is $120,000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1st year in smaller California location (think OC, San Diego, Sac) is $120,000.
what do you base this on? My understanding is that it is closer to $150,000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:43 pm

$120,000 is based on offer I received. Was disappointed.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:$120,000 is based on offer I received. Was disappointed.
Could you shoot me a PM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1st year in smaller California location (think OC, San Diego, Sac) is $120,000.
I used to work at JL in a CA office and, unless things have changed, you're not making $150k until 5-6 years at the firm at any CA office.

OP - here's a brief list of the pros and cons in no particular order.

Pros:
-substantial responsibilities right off the bat. Associates get thrown into the deep end.
-cases are almost always staffed with one partner and one associate, so associates get to do almost everything.
-virtually impossible to get fired or pushed out (due to high associate turnover, see below).
-good, but not great hours. You won't be billing 2500 hours, but you very well may be billing 2000-2200. My office was mostly empty by 630-7pm, but I frequently worked late nights and weekends.
-most partners were pretty easygoing and reasonable
-associates were supportive of one another
-really good exit options to other higher-paying firms and going in-house.

Cons:
-really low pay
-high associate turnover because of the low pay
-as with every firm, there were some terrible partners to work for.
-high volume/heavy caseload. The firm's bread and butter is small, low-value single-plaintiff cases, which means every associate had 15-30 cases
-tons of EPLI work, which is the worst. EPLI requirements add so much inane administrative non-billable work.
-same kinds of cases over and over and over. I found the work extremely boring, formulaic, and not at all intellectually challenging 90% of the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I used to work at JL in a CA office and, unless things have changed, you're not making $150k until 5-6 years at the firm at any CA office.

Pros:
-substantial responsibilities right off the bat. Associates get thrown into the deep end.
-cases are almost always staffed with one partner and one associate, so associates get to do almost everything.
-virtually impossible to get fired or pushed out (due to high associate turnover, see below).
-good, but not great hours. You won't be billing 2500 hours, but you very well may be billing 2000-2200. My office was mostly empty by 630-7pm, but I frequently worked late nights and weekends.

Cons:
-really low pay
-high volume/heavy caseload. The firm's bread and butter is small, low-value single-plaintiff cases, which means every associate had 15-30 cases
-tons of EPLI work, which is the worst. EPLI requirements add so much inane administrative non-billable work.
-same kinds of cases over and over and over. I found the work extremely boring, formulaic, and not at all intellectually challenging 90% of the time.
Thanks this is really helpful. I think some of your points may be more about L&E generally than about JL specifically. There was a poster in another forum who said he was making high 200’s as a 7th year at a boutique L&E shop...I don’t know what that would be besides Litter or JL since those are the top two firms in the area.

How were bonuses like? If you did bill 2000+, does it show or not make a difference?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
-really low pay
There has been a pay bump is major offices in the last 3-4 years, caused by the incentive to keep up with big law and the rise in business for L&E in CA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
-really low pay
There has been a pay bump is major offices in the last 3-4 years, caused by the incentive to keep up with big law and the rise in business for L&E in CA.
The associates at JL seem pretty happy imho.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
-really low pay
Thanks this is really helpful. I think some of your points may be more about L&E generally than about JL specifically. There was a poster in another forum who said he was making high 200’s as a 7th year at a boutique L&E shop...I don’t know what that would be besides Litter or JL since those are the top two firms in the area.

How were bonuses like? If you did bill 2000+, does it show or not make a difference?
Some of my criticisms of JL certainly translate to L&E generally, but not every L&E department/firm is an EPLI mill. Several colleagues who left JL that I stayed in touch with said the biggest benefit to their new firms was less EPLI work and fewer cases.

Bonuses were mostly based on your performance reviews, but you could also get a pure hours-based performance review.

I think I know what poster you're talking about and there is no way that firm is JL. Income partners at CA offices are capped at $250k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”