"Thanks"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
QContinuum

Re: "Thanks"

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Yes, it would be petty. Thanks

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Yes, it's amazingly petty. And it's even worse if you ever sign off your work emails with "Best."

Best,
Cav

johnnymacaroni

New

Post by johnnymacaroni » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:01 pm

How do you feel about “thanx”

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:10 pm

johnnymacaroni wrote:How do you feel about “thanx”
Negatively. I feel similarly about "Thx."

Bronze

Post by 2013 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:18 pm

I HATE “thx”

Be an adult and spell the word out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm

2013 wrote:I HATE “thx”

Be an adult and spell the word out.
Yes! No excuse if typing on a computer. And on a phone, there's autocorrect.

But there's "thx", and then there's omitting a period after the word "thanks". These are emails, not formal memos or briefs.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 pm

If jx is acceptable, why not thx?

Seriously, though, I try not to read too much into people's email style since it has a lot more to do with habit than sentiment. Maybe they picked it up from a boss they once had, and now it'd be weird to change.

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 pm

So, in defense of Thanks no period:

1. I don’t like using thx because (in addition to the above) that’s what partners/counsel use and I don’t want to come off as a poser

2. I generally use Thanks! but there are some situations where that just isn’t appropriate for the context of whatever the other person sent you

3. So you are left needing some way to acknowledge the other person and Thanks. carries too negative a connotation, as you usually see this used at the end of a fairly terse email.

4. This leaves you with Thanks

All of the above only applies when you are sending a one word email. I agree no period is weird otherwise.

I am not a lunatic.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:58 pm

"Thanks" without a period is something I have literally never previously noticed or thought about in any way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JusticeChuckleNutz

New

Post by JusticeChuckleNutz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Yes, it's amazingly petty. And it's even worse if you ever sign off your work emails with "Best."

Best,
Cav
Serial user of "Best" at end of work emails. I don't even like it, but can't think of anything else. I think "Best regards" is even more douchey. Help me! Any better alternatives?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm

JusticeChuckleNutz wrote:Serial user of "Best" at end of work emails. I don't even like it, but can't think of anything else. I think "Best regards" is even more douchey. Help me! Any better alternatives?
Agree that "Best regards" is lame and, usually, overly stuffy. I alternate between the following:

[preferred] Best,
Q

[second most-frequent] Thanks,
Q

Q

-Q

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:24 pm

There's a great book called Because Internet about how text-based communication has affected grammar and punctuation.

Young millennials and zoomers who grew up with texting as one of their primary modes of interpersonal communication find the use of a period to be superfluous, stuffy, overly formal, or terse.

For example, if you text someone "how are you?" the answers 1)"I'm fine" 2)"fine" or 3) "I'm fine." can be interpreted very differently. The former probably indicates a neutral to good disposition, while the latter two could indicate anger, distress, or coldness. See, e.g., https://twitter.com/eggshellfriend/stat ... 64?lang=en

Surprisingly, older folks (like partners) take social cues from teens/young adults. Hence, the period is dead in informal communication.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Imagine taking yourself so seriously that something like that genuinely bothers you to the point where you feel like pointing it out to others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 pm

acr wrote:Imagine taking yourself so seriously that something like that genuinely bothers you to the point where you feel like pointing it out to others.
Oh, acr, if anything you're understating the missing period's effect on hlsperson's peace of mind. They don't merely "feel like pointing it out"...
hlsperson1111 wrote:it drives me up the fucking wall

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:18 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:I'm a senior associate at a big firm. Over the years, I have developed an abiding hatred of people using "Thanks" without a period in emails. I think it's sloppy and sends a message that the sender doesn't care enough about your time to include a period. I see it often from partners and other associates around my seniority, and I suffer in silence because it's not really appropriate for me to pick a fight with them about it. But I now am at the point where I am supervising associates who use "Thanks" without a period, and it drives me up the fucking wall. Is it too petty for me to tell them to cut it out and that it's a bad look?
I was a senior associate in biglaw as well, and would suggest you not raise this with the junior associates you supervise. As a senior associate, its important that those you supervise respect your input and guidance. And if you are going to raise silly pet peeves, it dilutes all of the other actually legitimate input you may give them. You just need to learn to pick your battles when it comes to providing this kind of feedback. This isn't worth raising.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:38 pm

I hate "Thanks."

It sounds so damn passive-aggressive.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:45 pm

I hate unnecessary periods.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JusticeSquee

New

Post by JusticeSquee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Quote removed at user request
lol jesus christ what a nerd just chill out please and thank

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:56 pm

If someone called me out on that I'd stare at them blankly and ask if they were serious.

FedFan123

New

Post by FedFan123 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 pm

You’re all missing the obvious answer. “Thanks” is wrong and so is “Thanks.”

The proper way to do this is to meet in the middle with “Thanks,”

Bronze

Post by 2013 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:10 am

I usually get “Thanks, [Name]!”

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pennoyer v. Meh

New

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 am

FedFan123 wrote:You’re all missing the obvious answer. “Thanks” is wrong and so is “Thanks.”

That's what I've always done.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 am

Let me tell you about my use of cool beans...

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:33 am

johnnymacaroni wrote:How do you feel about “thanx”
:lol:

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:35 am

FedFan123 wrote:You’re all missing the obvious answer. “Thanks” is wrong and so is “Thanks.”

This is how I've always done it, so I'm glad to hear I'm doing it right. I'm kinda formal though, so I use "Thank you,"

OP - if it's really upsetting to you maybe you can send out a list "common grammar tips" and squeeze that one in there with the rest of them so people don't think it's just the "Thanks" issue.

It seems like an odd thing to be annoyed about, but as Nikka Costa said "everybody's got their something." I hate it when tiny cars pull up all the way to the curb in a crowded parking lot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”