Barely missed bonus threshold...will they take care of me? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Barely missed bonus threshold...will they take care of me?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Title says it all. I messed up counting my hours in the last couple weeks of December, and just got my "official" hours report for the month. Missed the bonus threshold by like 7 hours (our first threshold that's the difference between $0 and getting a bonus). Any chance the firm will take care of me and still give me some sort of bonus? Junior associate, positive reviews at mid-year if it matters.

patent_guy

New

Re: Barely missed bonus threshold...will they take care of me?

Post by patent_guy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. I messed up counting my hours in the last couple weeks of December, and just got my "official" hours report for the month. Missed the bonus threshold by like 7 hours (our first threshold that's the difference between $0 and getting a bonus). Any chance the firm will take care of me and still give me some sort of bonus? Junior associate, positive reviews at mid-year if it matters.
Sure, there’s a chance... depends on how much they like you, whether the firm has “takes care of” other associates in your position before, etc. Impossible for an Internet forum to provide good advice here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:24 pm

patent_guy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. I messed up counting my hours in the last couple weeks of December, and just got my "official" hours report for the month. Missed the bonus threshold by like 7 hours (our first threshold that's the difference between $0 and getting a bonus). Any chance the firm will take care of me and still give me some sort of bonus? Junior associate, positive reviews at mid-year if it matters.
Sure, there’s a chance... depends on how much they like you, whether the firm has “takes care of” other associates in your position before, etc. Impossible for an Internet forum to provide good advice here.
Fair... I guess the question is moreso "has anyone else in biglaw seen/experienced this previously?"

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 pm

It's not unheard-of, especially for stub/1st-years. But if you're a 2nd- or 3rd-year and the threshold is 2k and you billed 1993 then I think you're more likely than not missing out.

Firms often go easy on people who do good work and simply weren't busy enough early on but, on the other hand, the system isn't designed to protect people who were trying to barely clear the bar and messed up. So cross your fingers but don't make plans for the money and definitely don't bother partners or HR about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:34 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:It's not unheard-of, especially for stub/1st-years. But if you're a 2nd- or 3rd-year and the threshold is 2k and you billed 1993 then I think you're more likely than not missing out.

Firms often go easy on people who do good work and simply weren't busy enough early on but, on the other hand, the system isn't designed to protect people who were trying to barely clear the bar and messed up. So cross your fingers but don't make plans for the money and definitely don't bother partners or HR about this.
OP here. thanks for the tips. I am a first year. Was very slow in the first half, very busy in the second half of the year, so some cautious optimism but not expecting much... it is biglaw after all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tree

New

Post by Tree » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm

I have heard a story about someone a few years ago hitting the billable hours target but missing the "contribution" hours by 1 hour, and for that reason not getting a bonus. But I have also heard a story about someone last year getting a bonus despite being a little light on billable hours. (different firms, different stories)

It is case by case. If you're solid, given the strong economy you probably have a good case. Good luck to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm

My firm has a threshold, but it's a little discretionary (something like "you're eligible for a bonus at 2000 hours but the firm can give bonuses at lower hours in its discretion"). I was a few hours shy of hitting the number, although I'm a senior associate. I talked to a couple of partners about my situation and also wrote about my expectations in my review, and I ended up getting the bonus. I think if you're valued and are doing good work, they could come through for you, but it really depends on your firm (and your group) and how they generally approach these items. Some firms have a true cut-off, or only make exceptions for things like having worked on significant non-billables projects.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:23 pm

It's very much individual circumstances. The firm will give you a bonus if they feel like it. Likely up to the department head. I missed hours by a less trivial amount, but got a bonus anyways when I was a first year because I had put in a ton of non-billable hours for a couple of partners who appreciated it. Those calls are probably easier for first years given that the bonus is a less substantial amount of money. They might be a bit harder nosed for a 7th year due for a six figure bonus.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm

My old firm wouldn't have paid this, but they really should. I heard of them not paying out for 3 hours below the threshold. I would talk to a partner you trust and have them go to bat for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wet.ink.sigs

New

Post by wet.ink.sigs » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 pm

To offer another data point, when I was a first year, our staffing coordinator told our class that the firm wouldn't stiff you on your bonus if you were within 10 hours of the threshold. Now, I don't know of anyone who ever actually fell into that 10-hour gap. But generally agree with others in this thread that now is the best odds you'll ever have, given the overall strength of the market and the relatively insignificant amount at stake for a first year bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
patent_guy wrote:
Fair... I guess the question is moreso "has anyone else in biglaw seen/experienced this previously?"
Depends on the firm, but I think if you are asking the question, your firm is probably the type that will stiff you. I know of someone at Sidley who missed their hours target by 30 hours and did not get a bonus (3rd year, so 50k).

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:23 pm

At my firm, you would not get the bonus.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 pm

OP did the firm make you whole?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:42 am

Yugihoe wrote:OP did the firm make you whole?
OP here: TBD. No bonus discussion at firm yet. Will report back as an additional data point for posterity. I did take the path of not addressing it with any partner though -- I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying "oh btw i fucked up by 8 hrs in december, but can i still have my money?"

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 pm

Wait, so you didn't bring it up with anyone? That seems like a surefire way to get nothing. It could be awkward but it's also like $20k+? It's not like you risk burning a bridge by asking what you're basically entitled to (+8 hours).

Your call obviously, but that seems a little crazy to me.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:38 pm

shock259 wrote:Wait, so you didn't bring it up with anyone? That seems like a surefire way to get nothing. It could be awkward but it's also like $20k+? It's not like you risk burning a bridge by asking what you're basically entitled to (+8 hours).

Your call obviously, but that seems a little crazy to me.
Yea that's wild. I would have certainly asked at least a trusted partner. It's not like you're off by 50 or 100 or something. 8 hours is very minimal.

oldlawstudent56

New

Post by oldlawstudent56 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:58 am

OP here: TBD. No bonus discussion at firm yet. Will report back as an additional data point for posterity. I did take the path of not addressing it with any partner though -- I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying "oh btw i fucked up by 8 hrs in december, but can i still have my money?"
:shock:

Scared money don't make money .

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:OP did the firm make you whole?
This is exactly what associates' committee (or whatever your firm's version of it is) is there for. I would reach out to them ASAP because barring your explanation it just looks to whoever determines bonuses that you missed the hours cutoff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”