Relocating to New Market (UBE Transfer v. Current Employer)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 349007
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Relocating to New Market (UBE Transfer v. Current Employer)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:00 pm

My spouse got an amazing job offer in a different state. We both see ourselves living in that state long-term (closer to family, better COL), so we've decided to move. My plan *was* to move this summer, once my UBE score transfer had gone through & I've secured a new job.

Here's the issue: This new jurisdiction explicitly states that (for character & fitness) they WILL contact all current & former employers. It can apparently take up to 6 months to complete the license transfer, which means I need to start filling out the application ASAP. The second I hit "submit," that state has the right to reach out to my current firm (which will notify them that I'm relocating 6 months before I actually do it). So, I'm basically being forced to have that conversation with my boss/HR before I submit the application.

Has anyone transferred markets and dealt with this? How did you handle this type of a conversation? I feel like I hear about people moving markets without first notifying their firm all the time, so I hadn't anticipated this situation. I'm a well-liked mid-level in a very busy corporate group, so I don't think they'd let me go early, but there's always a risk. Financially, if that were to happen I would be fine, but the resume gap would certainly not be ideal. Any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks!


Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:52 am

Re: Relocating to New Market (UBE Transfer v. Current Employer)

Post by Lancair » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:40 pm

If I were you, I’d just tell your current firm, if they asked, that you wanted to get barred in the new state before your UBE score expired/while you had all your records from your NY application collated etc. in case you wanted to move home at some unspecified point in the future.

Alternatively, I would speak to a recruiter and figure out if not being barred in the state is a barrier to getting a job. Most biglaw firms give you some time to get qualified when you move jurisdictions.


Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:06 am

Re: Relocating to New Market (UBE Transfer v. Current Employer)

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 am

Are you sure you need to be barred to get a job in your new state? I admittedly don't know a lot about transactional practice, but I'd think it wouldn't be a big deal to work under the supervision of [insert new state here]-barred lawyers while you wait for the transfer to go through. It's not like you have to be able to file docs in court. So maybe no need to tell your current firm or to go through with the transfer now.

And I agree it'd be a good idea to talk to a recruiter, preferably one in your new state, about this issue. They deal with this sort of thing on the regular.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”