Nutter McClennen Salary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Nutter McClennen Salary

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:39 am

I have an interview there soon. I’d be interviewing as a fourth year. Does anyone know what their salary scale is?

I know it’s 170 for first year. Is it just $10k a year after that? Not sure if there is any negotiating room. It seems like the “second tier” firms in Boston are around the same (Nutter, Riemer Braunstein, Burns and Levinson, Sullivan and Worcester). So if anyone has any data points on those firms, those may be helpful as well.

I’d be taking a cut if I went there, but people there seem to love it. Just want to know what number to prepare for.

Anonymous User

Re: Nutter McClennen Salary

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:19 am

Interviewed there a few years ago as a potential lateral. My sense is you are correct, we talked numbers at one point on a salary/bonus (which I mostly forget specifics) and it was a fairly big step down from the Cravath scale as you get more senior. I want to say as a fifth year it was going to be about $275-300K after bonus and salary.

I didn’t really get the sense there was a lot of chance of advancement there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed there a few years ago as a potential lateral. My sense is you are correct, we talked numbers at one point on a salary/bonus (which I mostly forget specifics) and it was a fairly big step down from the Cravath scale as you get more senior. I want to say as a fifth year it was going to be about $275-300K after bonus and salary.

I didn’t really get the sense there was a lot of chance of advancement there.
Thanks for the data point. I’m surprised you got the sense that there wasn’t a lot of chance for advancement. I’ve heard that partnership seems reachable there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:56 am

I don’t have the numbers, but it’s a small firm without a huge client base (or a huge brand that an associate can expand on), and so it seemed like the type of place where they have no problem keeping you as a 12th year associate servicing some 60 year old partner’s book. I didn’t see many younger partners there, but the one I did meet expressed something like that to me as well

That said, it does seem like a good place to work. I know people who lateraled to other firms from there (such as Cooley) and had a bad wake up call.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”