H&K Compensation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

H&K Compensation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Does anyone have any info on Holland & Knight's compensation structure? Particularly interested in bonuses and bonus requirements. Thank you!!

Anonymous User

Re: H&K Compensation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm

I know a few people who work there.

Bonuses are discretionary and range from 15k to 100k. So technically people can get market bonus. But I heard that bonuses are normally half of market for most, if they hit hours (again according to people I know). I think minimum is 1900, but bonus expectations are closer to 2000.

As for comp, I hear that it’s market for first years but quickly compresses. Someone I know is a seventh year and is at $280.

Anon because it’d be easy to identify these people if people know who I am.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know a few people who work there.

Bonuses are discretionary and range from 15k to 100k. So technically people can get market bonus. But I heard that bonuses are normally half of market for most, if they hit hours (again according to people I know). I think minimum is 1900, but bonus expectations are closer to 2000.

As for comp, I hear that it’s market for first years but quickly compresses. Someone I know is a seventh year and is at $280.

For reference, how much less would I make a first/second/third year level associate there than at a firm that pays the full lockstep market and bonus scale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

For reference, how much less would I make a first/second/third year level associate there than at a firm that pays the full lockstep market and bonus scale?
I think the difference would be negligible for the first two years. I think H&K is market for the first two years. The only difference will be the bonus. Are you deciding between H&K and a firm that has a guaranteed market bonus?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think the difference would be negligible for the first two years. I think H&K is market for the first two years. The only difference will be the bonus. Are you deciding between H&K and a firm that has a guaranteed market bonus?
Yes, the other firm is lockstep, including market bonuses (but it is also in NYC, so difference could vanish due to higher cost of living). Compensation matters to me because I don't see myself in big law long term...here to make some money and get out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, the other firm is lockstep, including market bonuses (but it is also in NYC, so difference could vanish due to higher cost of living). Compensation matters to me because I don't see myself in big law long term...here to make some money and get out.
Same anon as above. Can you indicate which market H&K is in?

Even if it’s Boston/DC (or any pricier market), you’ll be “ahead” at H&K even after bonus compared to the NY office of a market firm for 3 or so years.

If it’s Miami, I don’t think raises are as good. I’ve heard that starting is 180k, but my friend (3rd year) was offered 195k. And another associate I know (6th year) was offered between 225k and 235k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same anon as above. Can you indicate which market H&K is in?

Even if it’s Boston/DC (or any pricier market), you’ll be “ahead” at H&K even after bonus compared to the NY office of a market firm for 3 or so years.

If it’s Miami, I don’t think raises are as good. I’ve heard that starting is 180k, but my friend (3rd year) was offered 195k. And another associate I know (6th year) was offered between 225k and 235k.
H&K is in one of the pricier markets indicated above. Sounds like my compensation would not differ enormously than at the NYC firm for at least the first several years of practice. But imagine my quality of life and balance would be significantly better at H&K. A lot to think about for sure

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:H&K is in one of the pricier markets indicated above. Sounds like my compensation would not differ enormously than at the NYC firm for at least the first several years of practice. But imagine my quality of life and balance would be significantly better at H&K. A lot to think about for sure
I don't have inside H&K intel, but I'd be wary of cavalierly assuming the above. Lower pay/allegedly lower minimums don't always translate out to fewer actual hours worked.

If I was in your shoes, OP, I'd want to be extra sure your H&K office has an "actual" (and not just "paper") 1900 expectation - and no culture of cutting your own hours - before deciding to join 'em on QoL grounds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”