International Trade Law Competitiveness Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheNavigator

New

International Trade Law Competitiveness

Post by TheNavigator » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Hello TLS. How competitive are associate positions in international trade? If one we're at median at a t14, how likely would one be to get a position?

icansortofmath

Bronze

Re: International Trade Law Competitiveness

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 pm

I know three people in international trade specifically, assuming you mean the practice in trade laws and dealing with government trade agencies/regs/courts.

One got in by networking into a clerkship at us court of international trade before getting biglaw. The other two were internationals that worked as lawyers at their home courtries’ international trade agency (office under something else? Don’t remember) before they came to us for JD. One of three was well below median while the other two were just above median. The networking guy also spoke two foreign languages, one at near native level.

Sorry not a direct answer but hope the data point helps. I think i

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 am

I practice international trade in one of the fed agencies. I can’t speak for how “competitive” it is but it’s a very niche field and you need to be very clear what the practice of international trade entails. If you think it’s about international business and cross border transactions where you get to fly round the globe closing deals, no that ain’t it. If you think it’s about unfairly priced (or alleged) imports and you help your client keep it out/in the country, that’s really the meat and potatoes of it. Of course then there’s the export side where you deal with export controls and sanctions, as well as related practices such as CFIUS and FCPA practices. The field is rather small and the trend is starting to become that big firms usually do respondent side (foreign imports) while small firms do petitioner side. Interesting fact, most of the political appointee trade officials in USTR and Commerce are former Skansen people. Especially for USTR, some lawyers in the field calls it essentially a branch office of Skadden.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am

Echoing the above, I went to a T2 and know two median students who were able to get into these groups in biglaw after clerkships at the Court of International Trade in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”