NYS Dept. of Financial Services Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
law1625

New

NYS Dept. of Financial Services

Post by law1625 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 am

I'm deciding whether to accept a fellowship position with the Department of Financial Services. Can you provide any insight into this department especially regarding exit options. I'm trying to gauge what people do after the 2 year program is over. Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: NYS Dept. of Financial Services

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:23 am

I'm a fellow at another NYS agency. I've heard mixed things about DFS. It can be very hard to get substantive work, particularly during your first year. So, if you're the kind of person who would hate having to beg for work constantly (like me), it's probably not for you. There are other agencies that will have a pre-defined role for you to step into, which is nice.

I know several recent fellows have just stayed at DFS after their fellowship was over. I don't know much about exit options. I'm sure it would depend on what part of the agency you are in.

Anonymous User

Re: NYS Dept. of Financial Services

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Prestigious agency with a lot of cool headlining work, but can be difficult to find a landing spot when you leave given the 2-year ban in the NY Public Officers Law which prohibits former agency employees from appearing in front of their former agency for 2 years post-exit. The trick is to get enough broad experience at the agency where you can be flexible in your next role, but are coming with unique insight into an agency that is generally considered pretty opaque.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”