Considering Gunderson (NY) EC/VC lateral move

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Considering Gunderson (NY) EC/VC lateral move

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 4:09 pm

I am considering lateraling into Gunderson's NY EC/VC practice and I was hoping to get some up to date thoughts on the firm--specifically I would greatly appreciate any insight into billables, culture (between partners and associate, and among associates), face time expectations and exit opportunities in the start-up or VC space. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Considering Gunderson (NY) EC/VC lateral move

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am considering lateraling into Gunderson's NY EC/VC practice and I was hoping to get some up to date thoughts on the firm--specifically I would greatly appreciate any insight into billables, culture (between partners and associate, and among associates), face time expectations and exit opportunities in the start-up or VC space. Thanks in advance!
Can't beat Gunderson for exits into the VC space. The only other firms that match them in the start-up space and in exits into start-ups are Cooley, Fenwick, WSGR, and Goodwin.

Culture is solid. People are respectful and collegial. It's a team oriented practice that assigns each client a dedicated team of associates and partners, so you'll work closely with people of all levels. Billablewise, expect around 2000, give or take 100 or so, hours per year. With facetime, the firm is pretty flexible, but it'll depend on the partners you work with. It's also very lateral friendly and laterals integrate well. They're currently expanding their public company work so they can support unicorns post-IPO, but it's a work in progress.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Bumping this.... Any insight into Gunderson's NYC office? Are they still the top/only legit player in NY for VC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm
Bumping this.... Any insight into Gunderson's NYC office? Are they still the top/only legit player in NY for VC?
Friend at Fenwick NY in tech trans says they're meaningfully peer firms for VC/EC work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Friend at Fenwick NY in tech trans says they're meaningfully peer firms for VC/EC work.
Really? This thread seems to sh*t on Fenwick NY pretty heavily viewtopic.php?f=23&t=285887 . I wonder if things have changed...Anyone else have any insight?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:58 pm

I do EC/VC work and also regularly see Cooley's NY office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:40 pm

Any thoughts/experience on WilmerHale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 pm

I've heard it's Gunderson - > (drop off) Cooley - > (Big drop off) Everyone else. In general, I've heard Gunderson NY is the only non-SV office of the major CA players worth working for, and that places like Cooley NY are weird because it's much less respected than its CA office, but is also much less respected than the top NY white-shoe firms, so its in a weird no-mans land (same thing with NY MoFo, Fenwick etc) . No idea if any of this is 100% accurate btw, just what I've heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:47 pm

Gunderson has been the global leader in VC financings for at least 6 years. NY office has a huge market share of these deals in the region. Company-side work is probably more spread between firms but Gunderson is still at the top representing some of the biggest names and up and coming startups. Also, it’s VC fund formation practice is by far the top in the industry by quantity of deals and VC funds represented. later stage companies will usually go to one of the larger firms EC firms for IPO work, but Gunderson has built out its M&A team significantly. (pitchbook/laterally/GD’s website)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Really? This thread seems to sh*t on Fenwick NY pretty heavily viewtopic.php?f=23&t=285887 . I wonder if things have changed...Anyone else have any insight?
I don’t have a ton of information on them. But my impression has been that Fenwick NYC was mostly started out of Cravath and S&C laterals and they do a decent portion of their work going after large tech buyers - I know they do a fair amount of Amazon buyside work for instance. But yes, they’re a major pain in the ass and difficult to work with.

They may do a lot of VC type work, but I just haven’t seen them there, and it’s not the reputation I know them for

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”