Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

For transactional associates, how long did it take conflicts after accepting the offer?

Less than one week
2
13%
One week
3
19%
Two weeks
7
44%
Three weeks
4
25%
One month
0
No votes
Greater than one month
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 16

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi TLS. Lateral biglaw corporate candidate in NYC waiting for conflicts to clear at another NYC firm. Any and all data is helpful.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by QContinuum » Mon May 06, 2019 1:58 pm

I understand 2-3 weeks is typical. You should plan for at least 2 weeks, and be pleasantly surprised if it finishes a bit sooner.

Congrats on your offer!

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 pm

It took me slightly longer than a week to clear conflicts. That being said, I'm a second-year so there were presumably less matters for them to go through. Also, the firm's recruiting department asked the conflicts department to rush my file and I also mentioned to the conflicts department that I would appreciate it if they prioritized my file as I wanted to give notice to my former firm sooner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 3:01 pm

I was a second year and it took me about 2.5 weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 pm

[OP] Second year and about a week in so far.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 06, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to clarify poster is OP. -QContinuum

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 11:01 pm

Any corp laterals been asked to get a current client to sign a waiver as part of the conflicts process?

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2019 10:11 am

Two weeks, particularly in incestuous niche practices where every firm has overlapping clients. But, even if you do have a conflict, it's almost assuredly not a dealbreaker, as ethical walls are everywhere, and there's probably more than enough work to go around.

Try not to get neurotic. Use this time to go through your files and make sure you retain access to any checklists or template materials that you created.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 12:16 am

So do you guys not give notice until conflicts clear? I'm sure I'll get more details soon but I just received an offer that I would like to take and am being inconceivably crushed for about the sixth month in a row at my current firm and would like it all to end ASAP.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:So do you guys not give notice until conflicts clear? I'm sure I'll get more details soon but I just received an offer that I would like to take and am being inconceivably crushed for about the sixth month in a row at my current firm and would like it all to end ASAP.
Do not give notice until conflicts clear. There is a small but non-zero chance that conflicts will either drag on, require consents, or prevent you from lateraling entirely. Get written confirmation that conflicts and references are clear before you do anything that would jeapordize your current position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So do you guys not give notice until conflicts clear? I'm sure I'll get more details soon but I just received an offer that I would like to take and am being inconceivably crushed for about the sixth month in a row at my current firm and would like it all to end ASAP.
Do not give notice until conflicts clear. There is a small but non-zero chance that conflicts will either drag on, require consents, or prevent you from lateraling entirely. Get written confirmation that conflicts and references are clear before you do anything that would jeapordize your current position.
I almost quit each day the last three days with nothing even lined up. This isn't a normal lateral situation. More like an extreme desperation lateral. I'm seriously doing like a sixth 250-300 hour month in a row (except for December). When doesn't conflicts clear? Is that like, hey this is just too many conflicts, so no? When is there truly a situation where they simply could not hire you due to conflicts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 6:34 am

Conflicts may not clear when there is a major institutional client ramping up for an IPO or merger or the like (major in that the entire group spends at least 30% of billable time). But I have never heard of another type of conflict in transactional practices that didnt clear or couldn't be walled.

That said, do not give notice before you get the green light. The parade of potential horribles is very remote but non-zero.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Conflicts may not clear when there is a major institutional client ramping up for an IPO or merger or the like (major in that the entire group spends at least 30% of billable time). But I have never heard of another type of conflict in transactional practices that didnt clear or couldn't be walled.

That said, do not give notice before you get the green light. The parade of potential horribles is very remote but non-zero.
Interesting. Is that because the client is too busy to consent to the conflict?

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Conflicts may not clear when there is a major institutional client ramping up for an IPO or merger or the like (major in that the entire group spends at least 30% of billable time). But I have never heard of another type of conflict in transactional practices that didnt clear or couldn't be walled.

That said, do not give notice before you get the green light. The parade of potential horribles is very remote but non-zero.

I'm gonna do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Conflicts may not clear when there is a major institutional client ramping up for an IPO or merger or the like (major in that the entire group spends at least 30% of billable time). But I have never heard of another type of conflict in transactional practices that didnt clear or couldn't be walled.

That said, do not give notice before you get the green light. The parade of potential horribles is very remote but non-zero.

I'm gonna do it.
The odds of something actually happening are low. Best of luck, anon!

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 8:20 pm

I gave notice before conflicts cleared. It was awkward because I was no longer at the firm when conflicts cleared (they took 3 weeks), so it was a risk. It ended up working out fine, but the new firm did slightly question why I had left before everything was a green light.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.

User avatar
Yea All Right

Silver
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Yea All Right » Wed May 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Conflicts may not clear when there is a major institutional client ramping up for an IPO or merger or the like (major in that the entire group spends at least 30% of billable time). But I have never heard of another type of conflict in transactional practices that didnt clear or couldn't be walled.

That said, do not give notice before you get the green light. The parade of potential horribles is very remote but non-zero.

I'm gonna do it.
Good luck, OP!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
Yea All Right

Silver
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Yea All Right » Wed May 08, 2019 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.
You could check in with the conflicts department yourself to see how your conflicts check is going/ if they need anything else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 pm

What do I have to submit for conflicts? I’m not able to get a list of client matters and I don’t remember all of them. Should I reach out to someone in my firm for the full list?

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do I have to submit for conflicts? I’m not able to get a list of client matters and I don’t remember all of them. Should I reach out to someone in my firm for the full list?
HR sent my friend her matter list for the 3 year time period her lateral firm required her to disclose for conflicts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I gave notice before conflicts cleared. It was awkward because I was no longer at the firm when conflicts cleared (they took 3 weeks), so it was a risk. It ended up working out fine, but the new firm did slightly question why I had left before everything was a green light.
I’m in a similar boat. I quit my job before getting the actual offer, so we will see how everything works out

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by QContinuum » Sat May 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.
You could check in with the conflicts department yourself to see how your conflicts check is going/ if they need anything else.
Given that it's been three weeks of radio silence, I think you'd be perfectly justified in politely following up to ask for a status update. Sometimes a gentle nudge can help speed things up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2019 1:57 am

QContinuum wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.
You could check in with the conflicts department yourself to see how your conflicts check is going/ if they need anything else.
Given that it's been three weeks of radio silence, I think you'd be perfectly justified in politely following up to ask for a status update. Sometimes a gentle nudge can help speed things up.

Followed up last week but nothing yet. Starting to consider getting back on the lateral market again...

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by QContinuum » Sun May 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.
You could check in with the conflicts department yourself to see how your conflicts check is going/ if they need anything else.
Given that it's been three weeks of radio silence, I think you'd be perfectly justified in politely following up to ask for a status update. Sometimes a gentle nudge can help speed things up.

Followed up last week but nothing yet. Starting to consider getting back on the lateral market again...
That's really strange. Maybe try following up with one of the partners that interviewed you to ask? If they've decided to rescind your offer, the least they could do is let you know, instead of ghosting you during conflicts checks...

Anonymous User
Posts: 344709
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2019 1:41 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.
You could check in with the conflicts department yourself to see how your conflicts check is going/ if they need anything else.
Given that it's been three weeks of radio silence, I think you'd be perfectly justified in politely following up to ask for a status update. Sometimes a gentle nudge can help speed things up.

Followed up last week but nothing yet. Starting to consider getting back on the lateral market again...
That's really strange. Maybe try following up with one of the partners that interviewed you to ask? If they've decided to rescind your offer, the least they could do is let you know, instead of ghosting you during conflicts checks...
That feels like a weird thing to bother a partner about, but I suppose it's a feasible last resort. Is it acceptable/ethical to be interviewing or seeking interviews for backup options while undergoing conflicts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”