Lateral Move - Conflicts Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Move - Conflicts

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Has anybody ever had a lateral offer rescinded for conflicts reasons? The firm I'm accepting an offer with has been across the table from me multiple times. It was useful during the interview process, but I'm curious if it will be a problem.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Move - Conflicts

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 pm

Yes, although I'm in litigation. Sounds like you're in corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 am

OP. Confirmed I'm corporate. Thanks for the clarifying question. Any corporate laterals actually impacted by conflicts? Or am I just being overly paranoid?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2019 12:54 am

Just want to respond here, as I was in your shoes and was worried about conflicts. I lateraled to a peer/competitor firm and had NO ISSUES AT ALL. This is a firm that is on the other side of our deals very frequently.

The thing with corporate is that we work on deals, and these deals will close and the conflict will be over. Or in the very rare situation that you lateral in the middle of a deal, you can just be screened from that client for that particular deal -- no biggie. For example, I've represented big banks on one side of a financing and have represented the issuers on the other side of them MANY times (and that's within the same firm!)

I really don't think conflicts is an issue for corp people. Don't stress and congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2019 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just want to respond here, as I was in your shoes and was worried about conflicts. I lateraled to a peer/competitor firm and had NO ISSUES AT ALL. This is a firm that is on the other side of our deals very frequently.

The thing with corporate is that we work on deals, and these deals will close and the conflict will be over. Or in the very rare situation that you lateral in the middle of a deal, you can just be screened from that client for that particular deal -- no biggie. For example, I've represented big banks on one side of a financing and have represented the issuers on the other side of them MANY times (and that's within the same firm!)

I really don't think conflicts is an issue for corp people. Don't stress and congrats!
That's extremely helpful to hear. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Is it customary to decline all open offers upon acceptance of one offer, or is it ok to wait until conflicts clear for the accepted offer to decline open offers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”