Writing Sample Ethics Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
abiglawyer

New

Writing Sample Ethics

Post by abiglawyer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Is it kosher to use a brief/memorandum containing confidential information as a writing sample so long as you redact the confidential stuff?

k5220

Bronze

Re: Writing Sample Ethics

Post by k5220 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:22 am

Best practice is to get permission before doing that

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 pm

My writing samples are public documents that have been filed with a court but I swap out the name of parties for something generic: Developer Co. v. Subcontractor Co.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:33 pm

It’s obviously best practice to get permission, but if you’re discreetly applying for a new job, it should be fine as long as you redact everything and clean it

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Anybody have any anecdotal evidence that hiring components/people for high level gov or clerk or biglaw even read writing samples?

My hunch is that overwhelmingly they do not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:36 pm

My experience is that judges and government hiring committees read writing samples (probably only from finalists or second round or the like, but to get the job your sample is getting read).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:40 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:Anybody have any anecdotal evidence that hiring components/people for high level gov or clerk or biglaw even read writing samples?

I work in bigfed and I am on hiring panels often. I glance at writing samples to see if they’re formatted neatly... otherwise I pay them no mind. Applicants that submit a memo rather than a brief might get a second look, but only because it seems weird to do that for a litigation position. In either case, I’ve never actually read a writing sample. I do, however, read cover letters.

Anecdotally, when applying for my current job, I was asked about my writing sample. I guess it just depends on your interviewers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Yeah, in both my bigfed job interviews I was asked about my writing sample, and I know that for our recent hires at least some members of the hiring panel read the samples (pretty sure they all read the samples for the finalists). I’m not going to claim everyone read every word of every sample, but they read enough to form an opinion (probably at least of people not autodinged based on other factors).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:Anybody have any anecdotal evidence that hiring components/people for high level gov or clerk or biglaw even read writing samples?

Writing samples of clerk applicants were moderately scrutinized in my judge's chambers - rarely for legal substance, but often for prose quality, glaring Bluebooking errors, and the like. It was an easy way to weed through the stack of people who got past the first gate with a good-enough resume before really engaging with the remaining applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”