How to approach lateral search as a first year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to approach lateral search as a first year

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:57 pm

For reasons I would rather not get into, I have decided that I want to lateral asap from my firm. Unfortunately I am only a first year. From everything I have gathered, lateral hiring is only really hot for 3-5th years. How should I go about the search? I am not getting pushed out, so I should have plenty of time. However I would like to make the switch within a year, if possible. My only handicap is that I am limited geographically to my current market and I am not in New York.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: How to approach lateral search as a first year

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:11 am

What market are you? Primary? Secondary? DC? LA? What are your stats? Are you currently in big law? Lit or corp?

We need a lot more info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:For reasons I would rather not get into, I have decided that I want to lateral asap from my firm. Unfortunately I am only a first year. From everything I have gathered, lateral hiring is only really hot for 3-5th years. How should I go about the search? I am not getting pushed out, so I should have plenty of time. However I would like to make the switch within a year, if possible. My only handicap is that I am limited geographically to my current market and I am not in New York.
1) avoid using a recruiter. I made the mistake of using a recruiter as a first year. It sucks because you’re competing against a lot more people and those people don’t have a 25%+ referral fee attached.

2) the best way to lateral is probably to switch practice areas. That would be a compelling reason. When you go to interviews you can say “I’m interested in X. My current firm’s office in Y doesn’t do X. Etc., etc.”

3) use your network. Do you have friends atfirms in your city? Reach out to them. Do you have professors who know partners (I.e., former student)? Reach out to them as well.

4) Prepare to search for a while. I started my search 9 months ago and haven’t found the right fit yet. I’ve been getting a lot more traction now that I’m a second-year. But even still, it’s been rough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:52 am

Thanks, Anon. How did you do your DD with regards to fit. Fit is a huge part of the reason why I want to move right now, and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, Anon. How did you do your DD with regards to fit. Fit is a huge part of the reason why I want to move right now, and I don't want to make the same mistake again.
Did you press current associates on the firm culture? IME that's the biggest part of "fit." Current associates are generally pretty forthright. (Of course they are most likely not going to say the culture "sucks," but you can divine a lot about whether it'd be a good fit for you from whether they describe the culture as "competitive"/"eat-what-you-kill"/"free market" vs. "collaborative" etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, Anon. How did you do your DD with regards to fit. Fit is a huge part of the reason why I want to move right now, and I don't want to make the same mistake again.
Did you press current associates on the firm culture? IME that's the biggest part of "fit." Current associates are generally pretty forthright. (Of course they are most likely not going to say the culture "sucks," but you can divine a lot about whether it'd be a good fit for you from whether they describe the culture as "competitive"/"eat-what-you-kill"/"free market" vs. "collaborative" etc.)
I was a summer, and I did ask current associates in my group. I feel like they were less than forthright with me regarding the working styles of the partners that I am working for and the general firm culture. In hindsight, there were little signs that the culture was toxic, but I was too much of a naive summer to really see them. Plus, I think I was too scared to roll the dice on changing firms after the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”