NY Big Law to Denver Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY Big Law to Denver Market

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:49 pm

I'm a soon to be sixth year transactional associate at an NY V10. My fiancee has a business opportunity in Denver so we're going to be moving there so I'm going to be looking for a job in Denver. I have some family in Denver but I'm not from there and I'm a little worried about breaking into the market. I think I will primarily target medium sized or large firms with corporate practices assuming that I will have the best chance there.

Does anyone have any experience making this move and have any advice? Or anyone who works in the Denver legal market with any insight?

There have been some good threads on Denver on TLS in the past. Denver pays a lot less than NYC scale, but you can find a few firms that are on a higher scale. Most corporate is tech work, or a mix of oil & gas work. Brownstein Hyatt Farber is a well regarded local firm. Cooley has a great office in Boulder. Ballard Spahr and Greenberg Traurig have decent offices.

Denver is a very insular city (which is sort of shocking, but...it is what it is). You will need to demonstrate ties, and not just that you want to escape NYC biglaw (a fantasy of many). Definitely mention your wife's relo in your cover letters and state that you will be moving. Oddly, there is sort of reverse prestige-whoring, where Coloradans assume you must be high-faluting if you went anywhere other than CU Boulder or DU. So be proud of your credentials but not too East Coast. I lived in Denver post-b-school and interviewed for lateral corporate gigs about a year ago (but ended up staying in another market).

Good luck! It's a great town and aside from the fact that you're very far from anywhere else, the mountain lifestyle is awesome. Truly. Happy life.

Return to “Legal Employment”