AMA: Junior Litigation Associate in LA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AMA: Junior Litigation Associate in LA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:38 pm

For the sake of anonymity, I am a junior litigation associate in an AmLaw 25 firm that is not based in California. I've had a rather unusual experience in that during my first year, I've taken depos, argued at dozens of hearings, and have constant client contact. Since it's the tailend of recruiting season, I thought this might be helpful. Ask away!

Anonymous User

Re: AMA: Junior Litigation Associate in LA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Should I go to Kirkland or Gibson for early lit experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:01 pm

Nice humblebrag, OP.

tlsthrowaway1

New

Post by tlsthrowaway1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had a rather unusual experience in that during my first year, I've taken depos, argued at dozens of hearings
That is unusual. Was this for a paying client, on cases involving a non-trivial amount of money, and not in employment law?

leesq

New

Post by leesq » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I go to Kirkland or Gibson for early lit experience?
It's partner-dependent and really based on the needs of your client. I would say Gibson based on its presence in LA and being more a well-known "litigation" firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nice humblebrag, OP.
This is OP. It is what it is. I have many more things to learn but just sharing my experiences thus far since TLS tends to paint a black and white picture of big law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:57 pm

tlsthrowaway1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had a rather unusual experience in that during my first year, I've taken depos, argued at dozens of hearings
That is unusual. Was this for a paying client, on cases involving a non-trivial amount of money, and not in employment law?

Paying client. Think large pharma or auto companies with a high volume of class action opt outs. Most never go to trial but even if certain cases did, it would be like an extremely low 6 figures in damages/settlement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:04 pm

leesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I go to Kirkland or Gibson for early lit experience?
It's partner-dependent and really based on the needs of your client. I would say Gibson based on its presence in LA and being more a well-known "litigation" firm.
OP here. Agree with above.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”