Bass, Berry, Sims (Nashville) v. Alston Bird (Atlanta) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bass, Berry, Sims (Nashville) v. Alston Bird (Atlanta)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Both seem like great firms and the people were great at both. Anyone have any knowledge of both markets? I’m originally from the SE but go to school up north so am not too familiar with each market and how the firms stack up.

Anonymous User

Re: Bass, Berry, Sims (Nashville) v. Alston Bird (Atlanta)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 pm

Very different legal markets. Atlanta has a much faster pace, and less respect for work-life balance. It is more “east coast” with lots of northeastern transplants. Nashville has it’s share of transplants, sure, but its identity is still more southern and more insular. I’m not sure that one is better than the other, or if one has more opportunity than the other. You will make more $$ in Atlanta though and get the big city experience (larger clients, larger deals, etc.).

BBS is probably the top “big law” shop in Nashville in terms of reputation, at least for corporate. Seems every firm is compared to them.

A+B is, in some ways, is the second best firm in Atlanta. King and Spalding probably has the reputation as most prestigious in the city. A+B is known as being a nicer place to work than K&S, and is still very strong (the strongest in certain practice areas like IP).

I think you should pick based on location. Either option is great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Be it ATL or Nash, if you’re aiming for the top firm(s), Atlanta wins income wi$e. Even though TN has no state income tax, it’s still no contest. Less stress and Chill wise, that dynamic easily goes to Nash. COL, pretty even.

IMHO: Lateralling out, ATL is easier.

The above poster’s firm opinions are accurate….those are THE firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 pm

I have friends at both and you can't go wrong with either option. It depends on what you want to do and where you want to be. Atlanta and Nashville are both great towns and have different attractions. Personally (as a Vandy grad), I'd pick Nashville and BBS. A&B is one of several good shops in ATL, but BBS is undoubtably the best in Nashville.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Thank you all for the responses.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with half of my summer if I choose BBS?

Money is obviously nice, which is why I’m leaning towards Atlanta, but I’ve read that after a few years, the pay at BBS isn’t that bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you all for the responses.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with half of my summer if I choose BBS?

Money is obviously nice, which is why I’m leaning towards Atlanta, but I’ve read that after a few years, the pay at BBS isn’t that bad.
I'd find another firm to split the other half of the summer with. You should be able to negotiate a split between Nash and ATL. Can you not split A&B and BBS??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:27 am

Any chance Bass raises salaries again? I read that Bass is a lockstep firm with 5-10k raises per year, which is nice. But I’m wondering if they’d raise to 160+? I’ve heard that the firm is profitable enough to pay associates significantly more (I guess most of the major companies in town use Bass as external counsel).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”