WTF is Happening at Greenberg Traurig Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

WTF is Happening at Greenberg Traurig

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:44 pm

I work at GT and have no idea what is going on. First, CEO says we won’t raise salaries, then everyone else matches Milbank / Cravath other than us. Now a recent article on ATL about how select few in GT are getting raises. Now I hear that possibly the entire Chicago office got Cravath raise, can someone confirm?

PS I believe the entire Greenberg Traurig US associate database got sent a recruiter email basically saying “it is clear GT is underpaying and not valuing you properly, everyone else matched Cravath, I can help you become whole”

Can someone from the NY office provide some insight?

The whole firm is ridiculously black box in a cheap way to begin with and now all this stuff is making it more complicated.

Anonymous User

Re: WTF is Happening at Greenberg Traurig

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:56 pm

From what I have heard, GT NY has increased the salary of some associates + a mid year bonus. This has been done on a case-by-case basis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I have heard, GT NY has increased the salary of some associates + a mid year bonus. This has been done on a case-by-case basis.
Are we talking a handful of people or a third or more of the firm? Was this on an individual basis or group basis?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:07 pm

GT is a shitstorm. I think the Miami based firms (GT and HK) are struggling with raises because they can’t justify NY market for their Florida associates.

I’ve heard that a significant number of the NY associates got a bonus. My friend works there and got one and said it seemed pretty prevalent.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GT is a shitstorm. I think the Miami based firms (GT and HK) are struggling with raises because they can’t justify NY market for their Florida associates.

I’ve heard that a significant number of the NY associates got a bonus. My friend works there and got one and said it seemed pretty prevalent.
Don't they have a nasty reputation in Miami? Why would people endure that if they can't even pay bank?
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:39 pm

I work at GT at a non-NYC satellite and got that same email blast as OP. I hadn’t seen the ATL article about these secret raises, so the email makes more sense now. Where did you hear about the Chicago office getting raises?

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:48 pm

That recruiter is trying to drum up business for themself. They'd move a GT associate to hell if they could get a bonus out of it.

"Global law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP reported firmwide revenue for FY2017 of $1,477,180,000, an increase of 7.28 percent over 2016."

7.28% growth is huge for biglaw. Don't let some recruiter or ATL fool you into leaving for a possibly worse firm.

And I do not work for GT, but I know recruiters will say and do anything to make a buck off of you.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:That recruiter is trying to drum up business for themself. They'd move a GT associate to hell if they could get a bonus out of it.

"Global law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP reported firmwide revenue for FY2017 of $1,477,180,000, an increase of 7.28 percent over 2016."

7.28% growth is huge for biglaw. Don't let some recruiter or ATL fool you into leaving for a possibly worse firm.

And I do not work for GT, but I know recruiters will say and do anything to make a buck off of you.
I agree that recruiters suck. But I think that recruiter email referencing the 7.28% was to indicate that the firm is being CHEAP.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:GT is a shitstorm. I think the Miami based firms (GT and HK) are struggling with raises because they can’t justify NY market for their Florida associates.

Don't they have a nasty reputation in Miami? Why would people endure that if they can't even pay bank?
A lot of the market paying firms have like 1 associate per year and many times it is a T14 grad. If you’re a top student at UM or UF, your best option is GT.

And, to be fair, I think the corporate associates in the Miami office get paid very well, with significantly larger raises and bonuses than lit.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:57 am

OP here. Heard the Chicago rumor from a colleague of mine who says he knows someone at Chicago office... seems like a legit source.

Not sure if midlevels actually get paid much. I know a 4th year whose base is 180 :(.

I get recruiters just trying to strum up business, but the fact that they actively targeting GT hopefully gets GT to react and raise.

cpena1991

New

Post by cpena1991 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A lot of the market paying firms have like 1 associate per year and many times it is a T14 grad. If you’re a top student at UM or UF, your best option is GT.

And, to be fair, I think the corporate associates in the Miami office get paid very well, with significantly larger raises and bonuses than lit.
This is just false. There are several firms in the city that matched NY and take more than "like 1" associate per year, and from Florida schools. Don't believe the hype around GT being the best gig in Miami.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 am

Any sense whether GT will re-evaluate compensation strategy now that one recruiting season is concluded?
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Heard the Chicago rumor from a colleague of mine who says he knows someone at Chicago office... seems like a legit source.

Not sure if midlevels actually get paid much. I know a 4th year whose base is 180 :(.

I get recruiters just trying to strum up business, but the fact that they actively targeting GT hopefully gets GT to react and raise.
Any midlevel who sticks around for that little money is either an idiot or has absolutely no options in life. Very certainly not worth it relative to the amount of work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:06 am

malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Heard the Chicago rumor from a colleague of mine who says he knows someone at Chicago office... seems like a legit source.

Any midlevel who sticks around for that little money is either an idiot or has absolutely no options in life. Very certainly not worth it relative to the amount of work.
How is a Chicago 4th year making 180? Have they not had a single raise?

I’m at a competitor in Miami and I know for a fact that most 4th years in GT’s Miami office are above 180.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:07 pm

malibustacy wrote:

What about in Miami - worth the “prestige”?
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:

Completely different situation in Miami. Very few of the market firms have enough work to get midlevel associates enough hours, so you can be an associate forever, I guess, but most of the bigger firms are not market. My firm pays around the same as GT and a lot of laterals come from the more prestigious NY market firms.

So, it’s apples to oranges. a large majority (I’d say 80%+) of associates in big firms in Miami do not make market. I’d say 80%+ of large firm associates in Chicago make market.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:

Completely different situation in Miami. Very few of the market firms have enough work to get midlevel associates enough hours, so you can be an associate forever, I guess, but most of the bigger firms are not market. My firm pays around the same as GT and a lot of laterals come from the more prestigious NY market firms.

So, it’s apples to oranges. a large majority (I’d say 80%+) of associates in big firms in Miami do not make market. I’d say 80%+ of large firm associates in Chicago make market.
Is it better to start at a GT / equivalent Florida firm or get the NY satellite training / comp then lateral after x years?

I assume starting in a smaller platform has advantages when it comes to training and access to good assignments.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:

Is it better to start at a GT / equivalent Florida firm or get the NY satellite training / comp then lateral after x years?

I assume starting in a smaller platform has advantages when it comes to training and access to good assignments.
Quoted anon. I personally didn’t have an option because I’m not in corporate or lit, but, I’d probably lean towards getting paid while you can. Miami as a whole didn’t raise (Hunton Andrews raised to 175, White & Case o 183, others to market), so the gap is significant now, especially given that we don’t pay state income tax.

I don’t know if being in a smaller group necessarily gives you more substantive experience. Miami firms are that highly leveraged to begin with

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”