When to tell my summer firm about clerkship in SSC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to tell my summer firm about clerkship in SSC?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 am

I am a 2L with an SA position at a firm I love (this was my top choice firm prior to starting OCI and it has not disappointed). I am having a terrific summer and work with a great group of people. I also really want to clerk and was just offered a two-year SSC clerkship in another state. Do I let the firm know asap, or, at the end of the summer? I am concerned that the fact it is two years and in another state will close the door on my returning.

I appreciate any advice (other than AIII or bust, which is not helpful). Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: When to tell my summer firm about clerkship in SSC?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:20 pm

+1 also interested

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:05 pm

How will the timing of telling them affect their willingness to have you come back? They'll know either way.

It might affect their willingness to give you an offer --- is that what you're worried about?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Tell them once you've received an offer to return.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:How will the timing of telling them affect their willingness to have you come back? They'll know either way.

It might affect their willingness to give you an offer --- is that what you're worried about?
Not OP- I’m worried about not being forthright with them and having it adversely affect the way people view me at the firm.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:54 am

I wouldn’t tell them until you get an offer to return. They always have the option of recinding the offer if they don’t want to hold it open for two years. I don’t think you’re inconveniencing them a ton by waiting till you get an offer.

If they like you and value your clerkship and have room for you, they can have you back. If they don’t, they can cut you loose, not make any commitments, not pay you a clerkship bonus, etc. You strengthen your hand a little by waiting, but not a ton. They don’t lose much.

Also, can you talk to your judge and your recommenders instead of random folks? This is what your real mentors are for.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 pm

If you love the firm, what will be a SSC clerk in a different state do for you or for them?
I wouldn’t mention it until you get an offer and I would have a pitch as to why it’s good for them.
No point telling them before they even know if they like you.
No one will care if you wait. It’s not some terrible guilty secret.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”