How fast would you take this job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How fast would you take this job?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:53 pm

I’m a fifth year transactional associate at an amlaw 100 firm in a tertiary midwestern market (Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee and the like). My base at my firm is in the mid 150s and I average a 40k bonus.

I was just offered a job at a large but not huge private company in my market at a base in the mid 170s with a target 15% bonus and very generous 401k match.

I don’t love firm life and don’t want to be a partner here, but giving up the flexibility I have at my firm (flexible hours, no face time requirement, work from home, etc.) will be a HUGE change. That being said, it sounds like hours at the new gig will generally be traditional business hours with some limited evening/weekend work.

I’m confident I could get an in house job in the 150s in my market in the future but the mid 170s offered by this company seems to be pretty rare.

What would you do?

jhett

Bronze

Re: How fast would you take this job?

Post by jhett » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Do they have a work from home policy? Do you know how flexible they are on hours?

In my experience in house jobs are very flexible with respect to work life balance, but the culture varies from company to company. If this place has a good culture, snap up the offer ASAP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Is it common for 5th years in those cities to be making 150k base? That's some next level salary compression.

I'd take the job in a heartbeat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m a fifth year transactional associate at an amlaw 100 firm in a tertiary midwestern market (Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee and the like). My base at my firm is in the mid 150s and I average a 40k bonus.

I was just offered a job at a large but not huge private company in my market at a base in the mid 170s with a target 15% bonus and very generous 401k match.

I don’t love firm life and don’t want to be a partner here, but giving up the flexibility I have at my firm (flexible hours, no face time requirement, work from home, etc.) will be a HUGE change. That being said, it sounds like hours at the new gig will generally be traditional business hours with some limited evening/weekend work.

I’m confident I could get an in house job in the 150s in my market in the future but the mid 170s offered by this company seems to be pretty rare.

What would you do?
Seems like a wash but since you don't want to make partner, the real question is..."what's next?" If in-house is the answer then why not take this position while the opportunity is available? Are you certain you'll have no flexibility or are you just expecting you'll have less than you have now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 am

So fast.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:13 pm

I'd take it -- given your seniority, you don't have much time left at the firm anyways, and this seems like a fantastic offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it common for 5th years in those cities to be making 150k base? That's some next level salary compression.

I'd take the job in a heartbeat.
Yes that's very typical of associates in those markets. Raises are not a large part of comp. Honestly I'm surprised the bonus is that high.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”