Transfering US Attorneys Offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
butlerraider1

Bronze

Transfering US Attorneys Offices

Post by butlerraider1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Is it possible to transfer to a different US Attorneys Office as an AUSA. For example, going from an AUSA at EDNY to an AUSA at S.D. Fla. Or would you have to go through the application process again?

Anonymous User

Re: Transfering US Attorneys Offices

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:02 pm

You have to apply for the new office as a new applicant.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 pm

It's not really either of the options above. You would have to apply through USA jobs, interview, etc, but you'd already have a security clearance, which means 1 you can start right away and 2 the new office saves money by not having to do a new background check.

butlerraider1

Bronze

Post by butlerraider1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. Make sense.

nickelanddime

New

Post by nickelanddime » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 am

I work at a USAO that gets lots of transfer applications from other USAOs and main justice. I'm not on the hiring committee, so I don't have a ton of insight into how those candidates are evaluated, except to say that the process remains competitive, and we regularly hire people without prosecutorial experience over people who come from other USAOs.

My impression is that a lot of inter-office mobility is driven by the relationships that your supervisors have with the new office. In other words, a full-court press coming from senior people that the new office knows/respects will go a long way.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:05 am

nickelanddime wrote:I work at a USAO that gets lots of transfer applications from other USAOs and main justice. I'm not on the hiring committee, so I don't have a ton of insight into how those candidates are evaluated, except to say that the process remains competitive, and we regularly hire people without prosecutorial experience over people who come from other USAOs.

My impression is that a lot of inter-office mobility is driven by the relationships that your supervisors have with the new office. In other words, a full-court press coming from senior people that the new office knows/respects will go a long way.

That’s strange to me. I get if someone was a SAUSA or a guns and drugs prosecutor for 6 months and applying to SDNY. But for almost any other fact pattern, it seems like a current AUSA would be so much more impactful so much more quickly than someone without any prosecutor experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”