Have I applied too late? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Toaster24

New

Have I applied too late?

Post by Toaster24 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:34 pm

I am a 1L at a T3 school, top 15% in my class. I applied to a few DA Offices, NYAG, and USAO and have not heard a thing from any of them. I certainly did not expect all of them to work out but I figured I'd get a shot at a few interviews. After reading how quickly people were contacted for interviews I'm starting to think I applied too late, most of my applications were submitted toward the end of January, close to the deadlines. Have I applied too late?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Have I applied too late?

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:53 pm

You need to start drastically widening your employment search or you are going to graduate without a job buddy. Top 15% is nice, but you are still at a t3. Even getting a legal job of any sort is an uphill battle.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:38 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You need to start drastically widening your employment search or you are going to graduate without a job buddy. Top 15% is nice, but you are still at a t3. Even getting a legal job of any sort is an uphill battle.
OP is a 1L looking for a summer position. Given they are likely not going to be paid for the summer, I doubt they are too late.

OP - do you have a career goal. If you want to be a prosecutor or a defender, you need to start looking for positions in or related to those fields now. If you want to do some sort of commercial civil law stuff, you can do almost anything in your 1L summer. I doubt you're too late to find something. Your school should have a careers office that can help.

If you're thinking about transferring up from your current school, find anything and then focus on your GPA.

Toaster24

New

Post by Toaster24 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 am

albanach wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:You need to start drastically widening your employment search or you are going to graduate without a job buddy. Top 15% is nice, but you are still at a t3. Even getting a legal job of any sort is an uphill battle.
OP is a 1L looking for a summer position. Given they are likely not going to be paid for the summer, I doubt they are too late.

OP - do you have a career goal. If you want to be a prosecutor or a defender, you need to start looking for positions in or related to those fields now. If you want to do some sort of commercial civil law stuff, you can do almost anything in your 1L summer. I doubt you're too late to find something. Your school should have a careers office that can help.

If you're thinking about transferring up from your current school, find anything and then focus on your GPA.
I would like to work as a prosecutor after graduation so I'm definitely feeling pressured to get an internship related to prosecution. Outside of prosecution there are a few personal injury firms where I can work as a last resort this summer.

I am working on transferring up to a T2 school in the market where I intend to work.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Toaster24 wrote: I am working on transferring up to a T2 school in the market where I intend to work.
Boost your class rank just a little and you might do better than T2.

I'm hoping that transfer wouldn't mean paying sticker? I don't think that'll be worth it, unless it's a heavily subsidised state school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:47 pm

albanach wrote:
Toaster24 wrote: I am working on transferring up to a T2 school in the market where I intend to work.

I'm hoping that transfer wouldn't mean paying sticker? I don't think that'll be worth it, unless it's a heavily subsidised state school.
Transfer always means sticker, otherwise what's the point of accepting transfers?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:19 pm

snowball2 wrote:
albanach wrote:

Transfer always means sticker, otherwise what's the point of accepting transfers?
Well, obviously we know HYS have need based aid. I don't presume to know that no other lower ranked school has anything similar. While it's probably unlikely I could see some state school offering the same treatment regardless of year, or a religious school offering scholarships to an appropriately qualified candidate. Not saying it happens but, since I cannot be sure, I wouldn't rule it out.

Unless you're aware of a survey of every ABA accredited school and their policy on scholarships for transfers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”