Going to interview as an alternate? Is this a waste of time? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Going to interview as an alternate? Is this a waste of time?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Got denied for a public interest job originally, then got an email today they would be willing to interview me as an "alternate." I am still going to go because at worst it will be a chance to talk to someone in that field and practice interviewing for that kind of job. Although, I don't really understand the reason they told me I am an alternate except to make me feel like shit and to lower my expectations.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any good luck being selected as an "alternate" or what they think of my situation.

mcmand

Silver

Re: Going to interview as an alternate? Is this a waste of time?

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:59 pm

I think it's shitty. My only experience getting shafted by a public interest gig was during 2L OCI. I interviewed for a nearby county prosecutor, and they did a BCC email to candidates saying "we're offering you a spot! But we're offering this to more people than we have positions for. So whoever replies first will get it."

Against my better judgment, I didn't reply "fuck you." I just archived it.

But if you really want the gig/need a job, it can't hurt to go. I just hate rewarding shitty behavior by employers. Calling you an alternate and bringing you in after rejecting you seems shitty to me.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 pm

I'd do it if it's a position you really want. What's the harm? It is odd that they would tell you that you're interviewing as an alternate. I wonder if it's some kind of silly test of your dedication?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Welcome to TLS

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:In my experience this is not uncommon at all for public interest jobs (the 2nd post is stranger and certainly shitty). A lot of times places need 10 attorneys, have secured funding for 5, and are hoping funding for 3 more will be coming through. As a result, there's a tendency to get additional candidates semi-secured, in the event of additional money. I don't think it's a mind game, so much as a money one.
Couldn't they just say that upfront?
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:In my experience this is not uncommon at all for public interest jobs (the 2nd post is stranger and certainly shitty). A lot of times places need 10 attorneys, have secured funding for 5, and are hoping funding for 3 more will be coming through. As a result, there's a tendency to get additional candidates semi-secured, in the event of additional money. I don't think it's a mind game, so much as a money one.
What type of PI? I've never heard of this practice.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Welcome to TLS

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:01 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
Nebby wrote:
What type of PI? I've never heard of this practice.
Any kind of direct client services?
Aw, I was wondering. Thanks for the info

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

I think this is also sort of common for fellowships-funded positions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”