Denver legal market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mecarey

New

Re: Denver legal market

Post by mecarey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks, that's really helpful. I am leaning towards CU just because I have the GI Bill so financially it makes more sense. What is OCI like at both schools? Are certain firms more affiliated with one school than the other or do most of the big and midlaw firms in Denver pull from the top 10% of both schools?
Hey GI Bill anon, you should send me a PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Denver is a tiny market (<25 SAs listed on NALP) almost entirely served by the very top students at local schools (CU/DU) and competitive T13 students with significant ties to the region. Unless you can somehow network yourself into an offer this year, you're probably going to have to take a clerkship in the area or attempt to lateral in the future.
Why do people care so much about ties? Wouldn't it be better to have a smart person without ties than an average person with ties?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Denver is a tiny market (<25 SAs listed on NALP) almost entirely served by the very top students at local schools (CU/DU) and competitive T13 students with significant ties to the region. Unless you can somehow network yourself into an offer this year, you're probably going to have to take a clerkship in the area or attempt to lateral in the future.
Why do people care so much about ties? Wouldn't it be better to have a smart person without ties than an average person with ties?
Culture. Values. Commitment to stay and not just trying to make turns in fresh pow for a few seasons/bail for powder hour.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Because hiring is expensive and time consuming. If you don't have ties, you're more likely to be miserable and thus a flight risk.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also there are PLENTY of smart people with ties, so it’s not a choice they have to make.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Culture. Values. Commitment to stay and not just trying to make turns in fresh pow for a few seasons/bail for powder hour.
Some partners in Denver want to make turns in pow, and your job is to ensure the partner can do just that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 pm

There were several folks from UT with no ties from this year's class who are working biglaw in Denver. In fact, Colorado specifically includes UT (along with 9 of the T14 schools) in its bar exam stats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 am

I went to HS and college in Denver, attended T14 and I couldn't get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Anyone know much about Moye White?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Anyone have luck with clerkships?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have luck with clerkships?
T20 grad w/honors, attended law school on east coast but came from CO and had strong ties. No bites except a phone screener on biglaw. Did paper the state for state clerkships (SC, COA, and the local jurisdictions that hired for district/county court judges). Had about a half dozen interviews at COA but no one bit.

CO is a hard market to break into, even with ties. It has two decent law schools that seem to fill most of its needs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have luck with clerkships?
T20 grad w/honors, attended law school on east coast but came from CO and had strong ties. No bites except a phone screener on biglaw. Did paper the state for state clerkships (SC, COA, and the local jurisdictions that hired for district/county court judges). Had about a half dozen interviews at COA but no one bit.

CO is a hard market to break into, even with ties. It has two decent law schools that seem to fill most of its needs.
Current state district court clerk here. I'd agree that CO state clerkships are pretty much dominated by CU and DU grads. It's also a bit of a crapshoot to get one; good contacts and networks can make a bigger difference than credentials, which gives CU and DU a leg up. I also know several judges that prefer to hire previous interns as clerks, which again gives CU and DU an edge. That said, it's not impossible if you're out of state, but you need to be persistent and a bit lucky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:There were several folks from UT with no ties from this year's class who are working biglaw in Denver. In fact, Colorado specifically includes UT (along with 9 of the T14 schools) in its bar exam stats.
Amusing but doesn't surprise me. Denver is a sort of secondary-Houston, by which I mean there's lots of oil and gas/other resources work there.

I'm a second year corporate energy guy in Texas. I hope to end up there in a few years. I'm hoping I'll have a better time as a mid-level. T14 but no ties that matter, I just love the city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”