Family law/estate planning/elder law in DC without VA or MD bar admission Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Family law/estate planning/elder law in DC without VA or MD bar admission

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:39 pm

My partner is interested in moving to the DC area for work, but I'm concerned about my ability to find a job there. I've been admitted to my state bar for about 3 years now and would waive in to the DC bar. The problem is that I have a medical issue that would make it extremely difficult to take the bar again, so I would need to limit my job search to firms that are okay with someone admitted to DC but not Virginia or Maryland (which both require 5 years of practice to be admitted on motion). My goal is to find something in family law, estate planning, or Elder Law, small or mid-size firm. Fortunately I have good work experience/credentials so I think the big hurdle would be the bar admission. Are there enough firms in the area that would be okay with a DC-only attorney for this to be a possibility?

Return to “Legal Employment”