did i screw up? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

did i screw up?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:52 pm

3l, i've been working at a small shit law firm since june, the guy i work for is a complete asshole, he did say there was a chance he'd hire me after i graduate so i struck around through the summer up till now but lately i feel like he was bullshitting and would just hire another 2l next spring (there is no physical room for another attorney and in my opinion not enough work)

a few things happen that prompted me to quit and i gave a one week notice - guy was pissed

should i have just taken the bullshit and stuck with the job in the hopes that it would turn into something full time? I turned down another opportunity for the second half of summer in the hopes of this turning into a full time job that i really regret now

i'm above median at a t50

Anonymous User

Re: did i screw up?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:16 am

I worked for a similar firm after graduation (asshole partner, basically shitlaw). It was super stressful (constant fire drills that were unnecessary, berating and yelling at myself and other staff, everyone walking around on egg shells, etc.) and I was worked like a dog for little pay. It was not good for my health. All that is to say I think you made the right call. I understand the worries about not getting a job, and they are real, but life is too short to work at a place like this.

If he is an asshole to a law student, you can imagine how he will be when you are an associate and he is paying you substantially more.

I would reach out to the other firm ASAP, and lots of others.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:41 am

Sounds like you made the right call - this seems like it wasn't going to turn into anything and, even if it did, it would have made your life miserable. You just started 3L, I know this process is stressful but you have some time to figure out something better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 pm

OP here

How do I explain this to employers who ask why I left? Should I say it was just a summer job?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

How do I explain this to employers who ask why I left? Should I say it was just a summer job?
yup - no need to say anything else. and you didnt screw up - as a worker, you dont owe employers anything. takes an exceptional circumstance to change that (i.e. 3 employers in your town and you refuse to move)

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
should i have just taken the bullshit and stuck with the job in the hopes that it would turn into something full time?
Not necessarily. But you definitely shouldn't have impulsively quit and given one week's notice. You just burned a bridge for no reason.

So, yes, you did screw up, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Just remember to check yourself in the future when you feel the urge to rage quit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”