Honors program requirements for GS-12 / joint degrees Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Honors program requirements for GS-12 / joint degrees

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 pm

I am wondering if anyone knows or has experience with how the honors programs treat joint or concurrent degrees with regard to pay. I found some helpful information about LLMs on the DOJ website, but it doesn't address joint/concurrent degrees. Specifically, I am wondering about non-LLM degrees, think JD/MBA or JD/MA in a field related to the agencies work. Does anyone know how this has been treated in the past?

Also, I wondering when someone should negotiate for this. Obviously, after you get a tentative offer letter, but is it too late after you accept but before you start? Can you negotiate after you start but before you pass the bar and are promoted from law clerk?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Honors program requirements for GS-12 / joint degrees

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:21 pm

I'm afraid I don't know how joint degrees are handled, but wrt DOJ honors, at least, there isn't really negotiation - usually the salary is what it is, based on your years of experience. The degree may make a difference from candidates without a degree, but if it does, I suspect there will be a fairly clear rule about how to handle it.

To the extent I'm wrong (or you're talking about non-DOJ and they do things differently), I think it would be like any other position - you negotiate before you've accepted. If you accept you're accepting the terms you've been offered. And I'm not sure you'll even get an offer letter until after you've accepted.

Anonymous User

Re: Honors program requirements for GS-12 / joint degrees

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:04 am

Bump. Does anyone know that answer to this?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”