SA Fired from Skadden Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Phil Brooks

Bronze

Re: SA Fired from Skadden

Post by Phil Brooks » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:18 pm

zhenders wrote:I think this is overall a positive for Skadden's reputation. it shows that the firm takes this kind of behavior extremely seriously. I grant you that it's obvious all firms and businesses should, but not all do, and to take care of it so quickly and directly without excessive deliberation about what it might mean to not 100% offer the class so early speaks well I think.
Um, what about the fact that this jerk was attracted to Skadden above all other firms? Kind of an indictment on Skadden's fratty bro culture.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 pm

My guess: Skadden still releases a 100% offer rate on next year's NALP forms.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
zhenders wrote:I think this is overall a positive for Skadden's reputation. it shows that the firm takes this kind of behavior extremely seriously. I grant you that it's obvious all firms and businesses should, but not all do, and to take care of it so quickly and directly without excessive deliberation about what it might mean to not 100% offer the class so early speaks well I think.
Um, what about the fact that this jerk was attracted to Skadden above all other firms? Kind of an indictment on Skadden's fratty bro culture.
there are many reasons why someone might be attracted to or disinclined to a firm

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Person in question most certainly is not a bro. Weird attack on Skadden.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 pm

candidlatke wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
there are many reasons why someone might be attracted to or disinclined to a firm
NU student here. It was his only offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
candidlatke wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
Was it really necessary to share that information? I mean, he doesn't sound like a very good person, but come on.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
candidlatke wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
Was it really necessary to share that information? I mean, he doesn't sound like a very good person, but come on.
This thread is amazing

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:57 pm

UVA2B wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:Not an NU student, but my sister is. Can confirm truth of the above. Dude made a Hispanic SA cry at a firm dinner with some comment about the Mexican education system/Mexicans (didn't get specifics there), and identified as gay in interviews when he is not. He also sexually harassed another summer and a married associate.
Dear Lord, what is wrong with this person? They've been in the job like 4 weeks, how have they checked off pretty much every discriminatory behavior possible so quickly?

Some people suck so bad.
Or maybe some stuff is getting exaggerated through the grapevine? There's a lot of sanctimony in your post, but let's all keep in mind that we probably haven't heard from a single poster with direct knowledge of what happened. SFSpartan's post, for example, is probably at least four degrees of separation away from someone with direct knowledge.

gatorade_potato

New

Post by gatorade_potato » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
candidlatke wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
Ya, I agree. This dude is (deservedly) already being put through it; I really don't think it's necessary to take him all the way down so publicly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 pm

rpupkin wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:Not an NU student, but my sister is. Can confirm truth of the above. Dude made a Hispanic SA cry at a firm dinner with some comment about the Mexican education system/Mexicans (didn't get specifics there), and identified as gay in interviews when he is not. He also sexually harassed another summer and a married associate.
Dear Lord, what is wrong with this person? They've been in the job like 4 weeks, how have they checked off pretty much every discriminatory behavior possible so quickly?

Some people suck so bad.
Or maybe some stuff is getting exaggerated through the grapevine? There's a lot of sanctimony in your post, but let's all keep in mind that we probably haven't heard from a single poster with direct knowledge of what happened. SFSpartan's post, for example, is probably at least four degrees of separation away from someone with direct knowledge.
That's fair, I got swept up in getting closer to some manner of substantiation of this, which is probably unfair because nothing reliable beyond conjecture and hearsay has yet surfaced. My bad for becoming reactionary.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:04 pm

lol do like all NU students know who this person is/the whole story by now? No doubt this shit is spreading through text/facebook/social media like wildfire.

If Skadden were his only offer, at least it's heartening to know that most biglaw firms can filter guys like this out, and maybe he just managed to really keep it together for 20 mins + 3ish hours for this one firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:06 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:lol do like all NU students know who this person is/the whole story by now? No doubt this shit is spreading through text/facebook/social media like wildfire.
Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:lol do like all NU students know who this person is/the whole story by now? No doubt this shit is spreading through text/facebook/social media like wildfire.
Yes.
I wish I was still on the listserv. I miss those days

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:32 pm

gatorade_potato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
candidlatke wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
Ya, I agree. This dude is (deservedly) already being put through it; I really don't think it's necessary to take him all the way down so publicly.
lol

snowflakes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:34 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:If Skadden were his only offer, at least it's heartening to know that most biglaw firms can filter guys like this out, and maybe he just managed to really keep it together for 20 mins + 3ish hours for this one firm.
Maybe, but I have it on good authority from a junior associate that this same office had to be forced by angry minority associates to fire a recruiting employee who called an Indian American employee "curried p***y" and the n word. They tried not to fire her because she was friends with important partners at the firm and they even gave her references so she could land a nice cushy job at Weil after they were forced to fire her. (Maybe the SA can call her up for pointers and end up at Weil with her! I kid, I kid.) They seem to not have the cleanest track record. That said, good to see that Skadden has now decided to stand up and do the right thing in the face of racism though. Sucks for the SA because I don't know how you explain at your next interview why you a) got fired or b) didn't work at a legal job this summer (if he chooses to just hide the fact that he was ever at Skadden), but sounds like he had it coming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 pm

This thread is so weird. First, why are people so interested? A guy got fired for alleged misconduct. Happens a lot in life.

Second, the whole sexuality grievance against him is weird. How do people know he's not gay? Did people follow him to his bedroom and peep inside to see who he was sleeping with? If he said he was gay and still slept with women, there still wouldn't be any problems. Gay is often used interchangeably with bisexual since the distinction isn't well recognized in the gay community, let alone in the mainstream. And even if it were, most diversity questionnaires either force you to check off "gay" or "lgbt" which people just read as gay. He could also be closeted or transitioning out of it so trying to keep it a secret from some but not others. So it's just really weird for someone to police another's, especially an employees, sexuality. If he said he's gay, he's gay.

This just leaves the alleged racist comment. No one here has produced any evidence admissible in court to substantiate the allegations, nor any a reasonable person would rely on. Yet there are people here ready to out this guy's identity publicly with no remorse, even if all the speculation sticks to him and ruins his career before facts can even be set straight.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread is so weird. First, why are people so interested? A guy got fired for alleged misconduct. Happens a lot in life.

This just leaves the alleged racist comment. No one here has produced any evidence admissible in court to substantiate the allegations, nor any a reasonable person would rely on. Yet there are people here ready to out this guy's identity publicly with no remorse, even if all the speculation sticks to him and ruins his career before facts can even be set straight.
You heard it here first. TLS is a court of law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Consider this a warning to the thread: cool it with the anon abuse. The feature's meant to protect posters who want to disclose specific information that could out them. It's not meant to hide the fact that you went to northwestern or that you have an opinion about this firing. I'm not going to out anyone yet, but cut it out.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:49 pm

TBF, the whole "lying about being gay" accusation is weird. Like, unless you actively explain to other people "HAHA yeah I said I was a fairy so these bozos would hire me" then sure maybe you'd get canned, but I couldn't imagine anyone in our firms gay group being on a mission to fire someone if they found out they were bi or queer or questioning

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This just leaves the alleged racist comment. No one here has produced any evidence admissible in court to substantiate the allegations, nor any a reasonable person would rely on. Yet there are people here ready to out this guy's identity publicly with no remorse, even if all the speculation sticks to him and ruins his career before facts can even be set straight.
As some posting in this thread know, I'm quite critical of the Internet tradition of sharing unflattering stories about others via anonymous posts. But the bolded is silly. I mean, how could one possibly "produce" admissible evidence via TLS? Who authenticates the evidence? The mods? DaRascal?

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
zhenders wrote:I think this is overall a positive for Skadden's reputation. it shows that the firm takes this kind of behavior extremely seriously. I grant you that it's obvious all firms and it businesses should, but not all do, and to take care of it so quickly and directly without excessive deliberation about what it might mean to not 100% offer the class so early speaks well I think.
Lol, Pretty illogical to blame skadden because one racist person potentially picked it over other nearly identical firms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:Who authenticates the evidence? DaRascal?
DaRascal is an excellent records custodian. I also plan on using him as an expert witness as soon as I can locate him.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Night_L

New

Post by Night_L » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Maybe, but I have it on good authority from a junior associate that this same office had to be forced by angry minority associates to fire a recruiting employee who called an Indian American employee "curried p***y" and the n word.
wut

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm sure whatever reputational harm borne out of TLS gossip is outweighed by the fact that he got fired from his SA so characterizing this thread as a concerted effort to ruin someone's career is some weird white knighting.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:37 pm

what's his xo username?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”