SA vs. DOJ Intern--please read, need advice asap Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA vs. DOJ Intern--please read, need advice asap

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Desperately seeking advice. Need to make decision by tomorrow. 2L at a tier 2 school, top 5%. Offered SA position (paid) in a small 35-40 attorney firm in CT for this summer, but do not want to practice in CT. The thought of it gives me anxiety. Struck out for OCI elsewhere. Also offered a DOJ Internship (unpaid). I want to be in DC long-term. I know I have no chance at biglaw in DC, but I'd be happy at a midsize firm or working in the government. Am I selling myself short by forgoing a SA position in a respected firm? I already have firm experience on my resume. I honestly have no idea what to do.

I understand that going to D.C. involves more risk, but there is no guarantee the firm would offer me employment after this summer. Even if I did accept employment at this firm, it is my understanding that lateraling to DC is incredibly challenging. I don't want to be stuck at a firm here for 2-5 years before I can consider lateraling. Also, I'm hoping that by being in DC this summer, I could make connections that may aid me in securing employment after I graduate. I'm also open to clerking and the DOJ honors program--honestly working anywhere so long as it is in DC and not CT.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm beyond stressed.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: SA vs. DOJ EOUSA Intern--please read, need advice asap

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Sounds like you want to go to DC, so... go to DC.

Surfcali07

New

Post by Surfcali07 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Beyond the fact that I want to go to D.C., is it a dumb move for my career? Or is it worth the risk?

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

I think you're underestimating your chances of landing well in DC, whether it's immediately after school or a few years on. like the other poster said, if you want to be in DC, go work in DC. also you outted yourself btw...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:03 pm

IMO your chances of landing a D.C. position while doing the internship is probably just as big as you going to the firm. Even worse is that your chances of actually being employed at all might be smaller if you don't go the firm route. I think you should think of practice areas that are transferable to D.C. rather than just focusing on D.C. Also, getting a government job in D.C. is just as hard as getting a biglaw job in D.C.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:04 pm

go where u want ur career to go bro. if u want to do DOJ/govt work, working at the firm likely isnt gonna help u do that, unless they specialize in something easily transferable to gov't

neither choice seems objectively dumb to me

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Go to D.C. Make connections. Have fun. Hustle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”