Using American first name is more common for foreign nationals at a law firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using American first name is more common for foreign nationals at a law firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:40 pm

I am torn between keeping my original first name and using an American name (that I just chose randomly like Jennifer, Ashley, etc)

Which name do foreign nationals commonly choose at a U.S. law firm?

I would appreciate if you guys would not discuss something other than my question. :D

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Using American first name is more common for foreign nationals at a law firm?

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:27 pm

It's a mix. I see some people use an Americanized name and some use their actual name (these tend to be names that are easier to pronounce). Tends to be Asian associates - I haven't seen any of my European colleagues do that.

Anonymous User

Re: Using American first name is more common for foreign nationals at a law firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:16 pm

I tend to use my foreign name. I also have an American nickname but I've found that individuals like my foreign name and ask questions about it. Other foreign people from where I'm from comment on it as well. I think it sets you apart.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:37 pm

In my experience it's not abnormal to pick an Americanized first name when your name has foreign origins and is difficult to pronounce (from the perspective of your average American unfamiliar with your name), but you're absolutely entitled to go with your birth name and you should expect others to respect that. A name is at least part of your identity, and any peer or superior should be embracing that. You shouldn't be afraid (this is my personal opinion) to require your colleagues to learn your name and how to properly pronounce it. That is basic professionalism, and should be required of all attorneys at U.S. law firms. But I also understand if you decide to take a path of lesser resistance (or, at a minimum, less awkward conversations) to avoid those awkward conversations when you have to teach someone how to pronounce your name multiple times, sometimes to no avail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”