Skills going into 1L Summer Job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alg1624

New

Skills going into 1L Summer Job

Post by alg1624 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:55 am

Just got a summer associate position for this upcoming summer after 1L year, but I'm a little worried about the lack of legal research practice we've had and the amount we'll be given this summer. Is this a skill we should have going in or more of one that gets built through working during the summers?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Skills going into 1L Summer Job

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:31 am

Any job description ? Summer clerkships vary. Large firms require research skills while some small firms use clerks to handle a lot of administrative matters. Regardless, legal research skills are important to the practice of law & expected after even just one year of law school.

alg1624

New

Post by alg1624 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:39 am

The firm I got hired at has around 250 lawyers (corporate law firm), but I'm going to be working in one of their offices that has only 15. I feel like I understand how legal research works and have had some minimal practice (LAWR II so far), but just a little concerned at the lack of practice going into a firm setting. I was wondering if this is the general consensus surrounding 1Ls going into their first position.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:43 am

No one expects much from a 1L summer. Just have a good attitude and control what you can -- e.g. never have any typos, ever.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Yukos wrote:No one expects much from a 1L summer. Just have a good attitude and control what you can -- e.g. never have any typos, ever.
+++

You should: (i) be enthusiastic and personable, (ii) not make mistakes that people with (A) a college degree and/or (B) access to spell check would generally not make and (iii) be familiar enough with WestLaw/Lexis that if asked to research something you could reasonably do it without requiring an attorney to give you a tutorial on how to research. For (iii) probably no need to be a master at all, your time will most-likely be written off, so even if you are wildly inefficient as long as you can get to the right answer you will have succeeded in your task.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:01 pm

if you are just nice, excited, and use spellcheck on stuff you turn in, you should be great.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Be eager, and don't act like you know something/are an expert on a given subject because you took contracts or civ pro. Another thing that I found helpful during 1L summer job -- keep a running list of the various things you have worked on. This creates good talking points for 2L OCI. Much easier to do this ahead of time than it is to try and come up with an example on the spot during an interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”