Housing for summer dilemma Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Housing for summer dilemma

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Not directly related to employment, but wanted to post anon and still relates to SA employment...

Going to opposite coast for SA this summer...Thus, wanting to sublet my apartment...the only issue is the lease contract says no subleasing without approval of landlord.

My question: Do I risk it and never tell him? (Ive never even seen him; highly doubt he would ever know), or ask for permission? If I ask and get denied, he would be more aware that I may do it anyways and therefore check....

Any thoughts?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Housing for summer dilemma

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 pm

It would be very poor form to breach your contract.

I know you aren't practicing yet, but you should handle your affairs professionally, as if you were practicing.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:48 pm

kellyfrost wrote:It would be very poor form to breach your contract.

I know you aren't practicing yet, but you should handle your affairs professionally, as if you were practicing.
Lol. It would honestly be an efficient breach, i.e., landlord's damages would be zero if I'm still paying the rent (while subleased and someone paying me) and no property damage ensues.

"But breaching would be mean!". Grow up.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Lol. It would honestly be an efficient breach, i.e., landlord's damages would be zero if I'm still paying the rent (while subleased and someone paying me) and no property damage ensues.

Wow... You've got your head on straight. Jesus Christ.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You sound like you'll be a lousy attorney.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe you should explain this to your landlord when you ask him like a mature adult without skirting around your contractual obligations.

Asks for advice, insults person who gives him good advice, then tells him to "grow up". Yep, you sound like you'll go far in life.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:12 am

favabeansoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe you should explain this to your landlord when you ask him like a mature adult without skirting around your contractual obligations.

Asks for advice, insults person who gives him good advice, then tells him to "grow up". Yep, you sound like you'll go far in life.
Lol at explaining to your landlord that this would be an efficient breach. Most apartment leases are just standard lease forms that include a no sublet provision. Seriously doubt that your LL (so long as you have been a good tenant) will have a problem with this. LL will have a problem if there is a leak or some other issue in the building and calls you only to find out that you live on opposite side of the country and some unknown lives in the apartment.

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:13 am

Who needs common sense when there is law school pedantry?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 pm

This is a pretty standard clause in a lease agreement. Do you have any reason to think your landlord would say no? You should just tell your landlord you want to sublet. If something goes wrong in your apartment while you're across the coast and you have to pretend like you haven't sublet and deal with it from afar, you're going to regret that you don't have an official sublease agreement.

ETA: Scooped by RaceJudicata
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:17 pm

I've been a landlord before and there is no way it would ever let tenants sublease / sublet again. There is a reason there is a no sublet clause in the contract.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”