When do we receive start dates for SA positions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mrlawguy

New

When do we receive start dates for SA positions?

Post by mrlawguy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Hey guys,

I was super lucky and got an SA offer through OCI. However, I was wondering when and how we are informed about summer start dates (Is it usually by e-mail, phone call, snail mail?). Any voice of experience on how this works would be appreciated.

Thanks.

zot1

Gold

Re: When do we receive start dates for SA positions?

Post by zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Why would it matter?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Varies by firm. At some firms they let you pick your start/end dates and at other firms you get set dates. When this information is communicated to you also varies. You should probably get this information in january or february. If you need to know now for some reason, ask 3Ls who summered there the process or reach out to the firm if you have a good reason.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:53 pm

zot1 wrote:Why would it matter?
You really can't think of a single reason?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:56 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
You really can't think of a single reason?
So he can check his mail every day if the answer is snail mail?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrlawguy

New

Post by mrlawguy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:58 pm

Mullens wrote:Varies by firm. At some firms they let you pick your start/end dates and at other firms you get set dates. When this information is communicated to you also varies. You should probably get this information in january or february. If you need to know now for some reason, ask 3Ls who summered there the process or reach out to the firm if you have a good reason.
Thanks for the response. Very helpful.
I live a bit aways from the firm and need to figure out housing for the summer.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 pm

If you haven't heard back by the time you need to know, call the firm and ask. Whether the info comes by mail or phone or email doesn't actually help you with what you need.

mecarey

New

Post by mecarey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:07 pm

zot1 wrote:If you haven't heard back by the time you need to know, call the firm and ask. Whether the info comes by mail or phone or email doesn't actually help you with what you need.
You really went out of your way to say this stuff to someone who just registered for the TLS forum and made their first post? It was a perfectly reasonable post, asking for some perfectly reasonable information.

Anyways, OP we're not all like this I promise you.

Back to your question - I think talking to someone who summered there last year (if possible) could provide you some good information. Also, there's nothing wrong with shooting an email over to recruiting and asking. Looking to work out housing is a perfectly good reason for the email.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:10 pm

mecarey wrote:
zot1 wrote:If you haven't heard back by the time you need to know, call the firm and ask. Whether the info comes by mail or phone or email doesn't actually help you with what you need.
You really went out of your way to say this stuff to someone who just registered for the TLS forum and made their first post? It was a perfectly reasonable post, asking for some perfectly reasonable information.

Anyways, OP we're not all like this I promise you.

Back to your question - I think talking to someone who summered there last year (if possible) could provide you some good information. Also, there's nothing wrong with shooting an email over to recruiting and asking. Looking to work out housing is a perfectly good reason for the email.
I apologize; I don't keep track of who joins the forum and how many posts they have.

I was actually curious why he was asking because I could see a real reason for it. Then I offered a suggestion and explained why I had made the original question. I was actually trying to help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrlawguy

New

Post by mrlawguy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:20 pm

mecarey wrote: Back to your question - I think talking to someone who summered there last year (if possible) could provide you some good information. Also, there's nothing wrong with shooting an email over to recruiting and asking. Looking to work out housing is a perfectly good reason for the email.
Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

zot1 wrote:
mecarey wrote:
zot1 wrote:I was actually curious why he was asking because I could see a real reason for it. Then I offered a suggestion and explained why I had made the original question. I was actually trying to help.
Cool. Thanks.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Call or email the firm.

/thread

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:31 am

Clemenceau wrote:Call or email the firm.

/thread
OP, my comment is not directed at you, please don't take offense.

It is strange how often we see law students asking SA questions on the internet here vs talking to their recruiting departments. I don't know if it's a perception thing where people don't want to seem dumb, or people are afraid somehow it might affect their chances, or they just don't think about emailing them.

Recruiting at firms are there to help. They are a resource for incoming students, and from what I've seen, are usually some of the nicest people in the firm.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:36 am

You'll probably either start the week before Memorial Day, the week of Memorial Day, or the week after. If you go to a school on the Quarter System then the firm may have a Staggered Start so you'll start after most of the other Summers and end later.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bluthmodelhome

New

Post by bluthmodelhome » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:28 am

Got mine this week by e-mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:03 am

My start and end dates were in the offer letter.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:49 am

Don't be afraid to ask recruiting LEGITIMATE questions. That's their job and they'll be glad to help! (srs).

At the same time don't ask them like 4 questions a week or in general be annoying.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:24 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:Don't be afraid to ask recruiting LEGITIMATE questions. That's their job and they'll be glad to help! (srs).

At the same time don't ask them like 4 questions a week or in general be annoying.
I remember asking the recruiter what the start date was so I could figure out housing early and when the end date was so I could figure out if I could respond to a wedding invite for a wedding in another state than my firm. That’s what recruiters are there for, but agreed you should not inundate them with questions regularly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”