3L, offer was just rescinded Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L, offer was just rescinded

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:02 pm

barprepblues wrote:I think I know which firm, given what I've heard in the biglaw grapevine. (It's hard to imagine two vault firms rescinding offers on the same day).

Make the most of the situation. It doesn't sound like the take-back was work-product related, so ask whoever you worked for during the summer for a letter of recommendation. Then start applying for everything: small firms, big firms, clerkships, government. Tell them about the financial hardships; they will understand.

I also know a few firms that are hiring but haven't gotten listed the positions in public. PM me and I'll send you a list; and no, I won't ask you to confirm the identity of your old firm. :)
OP shouldn't have to leak the news for good reason but I think you should.

Future students should know when they search for their firm while deciding on offers.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
barprepblues wrote:I think I know which firm, given what I've heard in the biglaw grapevine. (It's hard to imagine two vault firms rescinding offers on the same day).

Make the most of the situation. It doesn't sound like the take-back was work-product related, so ask whoever you worked for during the summer for a letter of recommendation. Then start applying for everything: small firms, big firms, clerkships, government. Tell them about the financial hardships; they will understand.

I also know a few firms that are hiring but haven't gotten listed the positions in public. PM me and I'll send you a list; and no, I won't ask you to confirm the identity of your old firm. :)

Future students should know when they search for their firm while deciding on offers.
And I think you shouldn't abuse the Anonymous Post feature of this subforum but we can't all get what we want

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:14 pm

I had a similar thing happen to me last year, only it was arguably even worse. I graduated, passed the bar, and was ready to start working at my firm. Two weeks before my start date, they e-mailed me to say that they were deferring my start date by two months. Two months later, they called me again and rescinded the offer entirely. So that was stressful. (Before anyone asks, I'm still not comfortable outing the firm. However, I will say that it's no secret that the firm is struggling financially to anyone who reads ATL. I think they may have discontinued their summer program, so it is likely a moot point for future students anyway.) They told me that it had nothing to do with me and it was entirely the result of the firm's financial situation. Nevertheless I went into a severe depressive funk, became suicidal, and almost ended up getting a divorce. But I pulled myself out of it, starting massing mailing, and started a job at a market-paying firm a few months ago. So there is still hope. For what's worth, I was a HYS graduate with mediocre grades. I just targeted every firm in NY (big or small) with a practice group in the area where I did my SA. I got a fairly large number of screeners, so I think firms didn't hold my canceled offer against me. (Although as I said, it was no real secret that my SA firm was in big financial trouble, so I don't think anyone found it particularly difficult to believe that my offer was rescinded because of the firm's finances rather than something that I did wrong.) I hope this provides at least a slight bit of reassurance. Good luck. Unfortunately I have been there, so I know better than anyone who terrifying this can be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:32 pm

OP. I appreciate all the condolences, advice, etcetera. I spoke with counselors at my school's CSO this afternoon and they didn't have much advice beyond what people here have already said. They did tell me that a one-off offer rescission during 3L was basically unheard of, which didn't make me feel great, but may be of some comfort to panicking law students reading this thread?

Will send you a PM - appreciate it.
Anonymous User wrote:I had a similar thing happen to me last year, only it was arguably even worse. I graduated, passed the bar, and was ready to start working at my firm. Two weeks before my start date, they e-mailed me to say that they were deferring my start date by two months. Two months later, they called me again and rescinded the offer entirely. So that was stressful. (Before anyone asks, I'm still not comfortable outing the firm. However, I will say that it's no secret that the firm is struggling financially to anyone who reads ATL. I think they may have discontinued their summer program, so it is likely a moot point for future students anyway.) They told me that it had nothing to do with me and it was entirely the result of the firm's financial situation. Nevertheless I went into a severe depressive funk, became suicidal, and almost ended up getting a divorce. But I pulled myself out of it, starting massing mailing, and started a job at a market-paying firm a few months ago. So there is still hope. For what's worth, I was a HYS graduate with mediocre grades. I just targeted every firm in NY (big or small) with a practice group in the area where I did my SA. I got a fairly large number of screeners, so I think firms didn't hold my canceled offer against me. (Although as I said, it was no real secret that my SA firm was in big financial trouble, so I don't think anyone found it particularly difficult to believe that my offer was rescinded because of the firm's finances rather than something that I did wrong.) I hope this provides at least a slight bit of reassurance. Good luck. Unfortunately I have been there, so I know better than anyone who terrifying this can be.
Two weeks before start date is seriously horrific. Thanks for sharing, and I'm really glad you got back on your feet.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Not sure what your qualifications are, but if you are within striking distance of a clerkship, there are some judges who hire clerks on short notice (6-12 months out). If you are at a T14, you likely have a clerkship office. Those people need to figure out every single judge that hires on short notice and when those judges want applications. And then you need to apply to all of them and have profs call. Also send me a PM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:02 pm

I think you should ask the firm if they'll still pay your bar exam expenses at least.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 pm

And this is why students reneging on offers is perfectly ok.

OP: I'm sorry this happened. You will be ok. Life will go on.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L and my offer at an NYC biglaw firm was rescinded on Monday. The firm has been struggling financially, but I don't know if any of the others from my summer class had their offers rescinded. Does anyone have any idea about how often SA offers get rescinded? I'm trying to figure out how best to frame the situation now that I'm back on the job hunt.
Thanks.
OK! So now let's put together an action plan!

1) APPLY TO PMF! Presidential Management Fellowship program is the U.S. Civil Service's management fast track program. It is a pretty great gig. Easy hours, lots of vacation, solid pay, and some nice exit opportunities down the road.

2) If you have any connection to prosecution, apply to be an ADA. Without any internships, this will be very difficult, however.

3) Consulting. Depending on the school you are at, McKinsey may recruit you. I was a 3L when I interviewed. My interviews were Feb and March

4) Clerkships! Yeah, difficult... but worth exploring. Be flexible in geo.

5) CONSIDER AN MBA! being a lawyer sucks, man. Really. Business School is a giant joke. Concede this is an expensive option.

6) And, of course, apply to other firms

Other ideas? You have more options than the firm route, friend...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Voyager wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L and my offer at an NYC biglaw firm was rescinded on Monday. The firm has been struggling financially, but I don't know if any of the others from my summer class had their offers rescinded. Does anyone have any idea about how often SA offers get rescinded? I'm trying to figure out how best to frame the situation now that I'm back on the job hunt.
Thanks.

1) APPLY TO PMF! Presidential Management Fellowship program is the U.S. Civil Service's management fast track program. It is a pretty great gig. Easy hours, lots of vacation, solid pay, and some nice exit opportunities down the road.

2) If you have any connection to prosecution, apply to be an ADA. Without any internships, this will be very difficult, however.

3) Consulting. Depending on the school you are at, McKinsey may recruit you. I was a 3L when I interviewed. My interviews were Feb and March

5) CONSIDER AN MBA! Being a lawyer sucks, man. Really. Business School is a giant joke. Concede this is an expensive option.

Are you for reals? If OP was competitive enough to get a biglaw offer he just needs to mass mail like crazy and hit his network.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 pm

zot1 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Thanks.

5) CONSIDER AN MBA! Being a lawyer sucks, man. Really. Business School is a giant joke. Concede this is an expensive option.

Are you for reals? If OP was competitive enough to get a biglaw offer he just needs to mass mail like crazy and hit his network.
Oh I am the super for realz. I suggest putting a bunch of torpedoes in the water because you just don't know how things will work out.

Has the legal market turned around so much that a jobless 3L (admittedly from a good school with decent grades) can guarantee landing a firm job? I am for serious asking: have things really turned around that much?

If there is any real risk of striking out, you are best off having other torpedoes tracking towards targets as opposed to realizing in March that you have nothing and are about to be the best educated hobo hiding on the boxcar.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:49 pm

Voyager wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Thanks.

Oh I am the super for realz. I suggest putting a bunch of torpedoes in the water because you just don't know how things will work out.

Has the legal market turned around so much that a jobless 3L (admittedly from a good school with decent grades) can guarantee landing a firm job? I am for serious asking: have things really turned around that much?

If there is any real risk of striking out, you are best off having other torpedoes tracking towards targets as opposed to realizing in March that you have nothing and are about to be the best educated hobo hiding on the boxcar.
But PMF is your first suggestion. It's hard to take that seriously.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:51 pm

I'll add: I also think that going into PMF is hella better than going into biglaw.

Hours are much easier, you end up leading other people, the career is sustainable forever, there is a pension at the end and your exit options are pretty dang great.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw your response. Honest. Why do you so dislike PMF? Biglaw is a giant poo sandwich...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Voyager wrote:I'll add: I also think that going into PMF is hella better than going into biglaw.

Hours are much easier, you end up leading other people, the career is sustainable forever, there is a pension at the end and your exit options are pretty dang great.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw your response. Honest. Why do you so dislike PMF? Biglaw is a giant poo sandwich...
There's no dislike whatsoever. It just doesn't seem to be what the OP is interested in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:57 pm

zot1 wrote:
Voyager wrote:I'll add: I also think that going into PMF is hella better than going into biglaw.

There's no dislike whatsoever. It just doesn't seem to be what the OP is interested in.
I am guessing OP has no idea what PMF is. Odds are, OP is heading towards the Biglaw grinder with everyone else, hoping for the best.

This might be a great chance to stop and reassess. Law sucks. MOST people hate doing it. Just the numbers.

You can work for any department in PMF. Lots of fun stuff to explore...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:58 pm

Voyager wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I am guessing OP has no idea what PMF is. Odds are, OP is heading towards the Biglaw grinder with everyone else, hoping for the best.

This might be a great chance to stop and reassess. Law sucks. MOST people hate doing it. Just the numbers.

If people want to go to biglaw, let them. I'm sure OP has heard the biglaw stories.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:18 pm

zot1 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
zot1 wrote:

If people want to go to biglaw, let them. I'm sure OP has heard the biglaw stories.
And if he had an offer in hand, I would leave it alone.

But he doesn't.

So I'm not.

Look: dude needs options to be safe. I laid out a bunch beyond the usual carpet bombing campaign in the V100 or whatever. I think it is useful to propose some new ideas. And yeah, maybe this is a chance to reflect on the epic poopiness that is biglaw and look for options that perhaps OP had never considered...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:18 am

I'd call up Kirkland. They love 3L hiring.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:06 pm

apply to quinn. theyre paying 3Ls (25k signing bonus) to leave the firm they summered at.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Voyager wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
zot1 wrote:

And if he had an offer in hand, I would leave it alone.

But he doesn't.

So I'm not.

Look: dude needs options to be safe. I laid out a bunch beyond the usual carpet bombing campaign in the V100 or whatever. I think it is useful to propose some new ideas. And yeah, maybe this is a chance to reflect on the epic poopiness that is biglaw and look for options that perhaps OP had never considered...
Totally seconded, this is OP's last chance! Fire ALL of the torpedoes and, if lucky, OP may get a better gig than generic biglaw. And, if unlucky, better to have known that OP exhausted all options.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

barprepblues

New

Post by barprepblues » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know why it's so imperative for y'all to know, and no, I'm not buying the "future students" concern. This happens all the time in biglaw, including at my own firm some years ago. (The fellow found another job some months later.) Even if I told you, it won't stop the people who have offers from this firm to accept it if it's their only offer. Shit happens and unfortunately, OP is on the receiving end of it. Shouldn't we focus on helping OP instead of trying to out the firm?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”