Need help...banking or law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need help...banking or law?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Have a summer offer with a v200 firm paying 160. Got an offer today to be a summer associate at Goldman. I'm not sure what to do. I've read a lot about lawyers saying they wish they did something else and bankers make more but don't bankers also work insane hours?

Confused, not sure what to do and any input would be appreciated

Anonymous User

Re: Need help...banking or law?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Did you have a history in finance? if not how did you get a spot at goldman? I would go goldman, big law lawyers also work insane hours.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Do you want to be a banker or lawyer?

This is a personal question that only you can answer.

However, I personally find legal work much more interesting. I also think "lawyer" is more prestigious than banker.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Anything that oyas the same amount as biglaw is probably tje better route if obtainable. Didnt even read the op, but banking all day.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:35 pm

Question boils down to whether you want to be a lawyer or banker. Successful bankers make huge money but it's a different skill set. In any job if you aren't passionate/good you will not succeed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:42 pm

kellyfrost wrote: I also think "lawyer" is more prestigious than banker.
lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:46 pm

I've actually done both. Some transactional legal practices not hugely different from investment banking. Banking hours are terrible -- and are worse than big law. But the money is better in banking.

Goldman will likely provide far better exit opps than a V200 law firm would -- assuming that you are in investment banking or a private equity group, etc. However, doing something like private wealth management at Goldman is not nearly the same career path. If it is PWM, I would take the V200 firm all day.

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Dear god I hope the last 6 posters know the OP is a troll (V200?????)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Accidental anon from above (0hel)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

Have a summer offer with a v200 firm paying 160. Got an offer today to be a summer associate at Goldman. I'm not sure what to do. I've read a lot about lawyers saying they wish they did something else and bankers make more but don't bankers also work insane hours?

OP, I summered in biglaw and at GS. Chose the latter. Happy to discuss by PM if you have a throwaway account. Also - congrats.

squishylawstudent321

New

Post by squishylawstudent321 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:56 pm

this is almost certainly a flame post, no? OP seems like a real jabroni.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:07 pm

if you were going to do corporate/transactional work at your "v200" firm anyway, then I would go the finance route unless you get really jazzed about the legal side of things.

if you were going to be a litigator, and you are interested in litigation/clerking/practicing law, then stick with the law firm since your goals don't align much with the work you'd do as an associate at Goldman.

if OP is flame, this is more of general applicability

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Obviously go to Goldman.

Any other answer is divorced from reality.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Goldman's not 100% offer rate though :D *Cue risk averse law students*

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 pm

don't junior bankers make like half of 180 obviously if you make VP you're making fuck you money but how many people make it

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:don't junior bankers make like half of 180 obviously if you make VP you're making fuck you money but how many people make it
... Junior bankers make as much going in, and about 2x by the time they hit VP (3.5 year mark).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:32 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:don't junior bankers make like half of 180 obviously if you make VP you're making fuck you money but how many people make it
Junior analysts (pre-MBA/JD) make ~$70k base plus $20-50k bonus, but IB associates (post-MBA/JD) make more like $125k+$50k or 135k+$50k plus a starting bonus. It ends up being pretty comparable, depending on the bank, for a few years, and if you make it in finance it accellerated beyond the law firm market scale (unless you make partner at a high PPP firm, which is a tiny chance).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am

nunumaster wrote:Goldman's not 100% offer rate though :D *Cue risk averse law students*
True, I think banks generally give around 2/3 offers. It's not a kiss of death if you don't get an offer and you can usually just work at a smaller bank but you still gotta fight the "why weren't you one of the ones who got an offer?" elephant in the room.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:09 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Junior analysts (pre-MBA/JD) make ~$70k base plus $20-50k bonus, but IB associates (post-MBA/JD) make more like $125k+$50k or 135k+$50k plus a starting bonus. It ends up being pretty comparable, depending on the bank, for a few years, and if you make it in finance it accellerated beyond the law firm market scale (unless you make partner at a high PPP firm, which is a tiny chance).
The track is only like 4 years instead of 9 too right? Is it still like 1 in 40 or whatever chance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:28 am

OP here found out they now want to put me in compliance because of legal background. still worth it?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

OP, I summered in biglaw and at GS. Chose the latter. Happy to discuss by PM if you have a throwaway account. Also - congrats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here found out they now want to put me in compliance because of legal background. still worth it?

Definitely not. Fuck compliance. You can always go that route after big law. It's usually a dead-end gig up-front. Also, banking compliance is one of the most boring jobs you can do, I know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cjw564

New

Post by cjw564 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here found out they now want to put me in compliance because of legal background. still worth it?

Definitely not. Fuck compliance. You can always go that route after big law. It's usually a dead-end gig up-front. Also, banking compliance is one of the most boring jobs you can do, I know.
Not even a question. There is almost not room for advancement in the back office of the banking industry unless you lateral at a very high level. E.g. you won't make GC at GS unless you lateral directly as a GC or at least a GC track role after making partner at a v20.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Banking compliance has to be one of the worst professional jobs there is. You do lots of software testing and have little to no upward mobility. Your managers' primary goal is to lay you off and offshore your job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:46 pm

HELLLLLL NO. Compliance is hell. GS or anywhere else.

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Stop feeding the flame.
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
The track is only like 4 years instead of 9 too right? Is it still like 1 in 40 or whatever chance
I don't know why jbagelboy keeps insisting that compensation is "comparable." It's the same for the first year, and after that bankers get paid more at an accelerating rate. Mentioning pre-MBAs is a complete non sequitur, unless you're trying to point out that being a lawyer is an even more shitty deal because of the opportunity cost that is 3 years of law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”