Corporate to Litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corporate to Litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:12 am

How hard is it to make a switch from a very specific corporate practice to litigation? Have an offer to do 2L summer at a firm overseas (somewhere I've always wanted to live, been multiple times, yada yada), just not dead set on the practice area. Always wanted to clerk, doing journal, have a very litigation focused resume, etc. How hard would it be to come back to litigation stateside?

Emma.

Gold

Re: Corporate to Litigation

Post by Emma. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it to make a switch from a very specific corporate practice to litigation? Have an offer to do 2L summer at a firm overseas (somewhere I've always wanted to live, been multiple times, yada yada), just not dead set on the practice area. Always wanted to clerk, doing journal, have a very litigation focused resume, etc. How hard would it be to come back to litigation stateside?
If (and it's a pretty big if) you land a clerkship, then it should be relatively easy to come back to litigation after you graduate. If not, I imagine you'd have quite a bit of explaining to do at 3L OCI (which is pretty limited anyway).

Anonymous User

Re: Corporate to Litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it to make a switch from a very specific corporate practice to litigation? Have an offer to do 2L summer at a firm overseas (somewhere I've always wanted to live, been multiple times, yada yada), just not dead set on the practice area. Always wanted to clerk, doing journal, have a very litigation focused resume, etc. How hard would it be to come back to litigation stateside?
If (and it's a pretty big if) you land a clerkship, then it should be relatively easy to come back to litigation after you graduate. If not, I imagine you'd have quite a bit of explaining to do at 3L OCI (which is pretty limited anyway).

Thanks for this. I was thinking more along the lines of switching after a few years in rather than after the summer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”