Sidley Chicago hires 64 SAs - doesn't offer 100% Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Sidley Chicago hires 64 SAs - doesn't offer 100%

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sidley is literally my #1 choice and has been all throughout law school but i would be seriously disappointed if they pulled a Latham right now.
What is your affinity for Sidley Austin? The reality is that the vast majority of large firms--including Sidely-- are extraordinarily similar. Dangerous attitude to be so into a firm. Only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Sidley did not Latham its summers. All signs point to there being at most two no-offers, and more likely only one. Thus, those situations almost certainly had nothing to do with yield, the financial condition of the firm, salary raises, or a mix of those factors.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:07 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sidley is literally my #1 choice and has been all throughout law school but i would be seriously disappointed if they pulled a Latham right now.
What is your affinity for Sidley Austin? The reality is that the vast majority of large firms--including Sidely-- are extraordinarily similar. Dangerous attitude to be so into a firm. Only setting yourself up for disappointment.
In Anon's defense they push the narrative that their firm's culture is supreme pretty hard. And the people I've met from Sidley seem, in my subjective opinion, slightly more relaxed and cooler than average. That said, you're correct that these factors are not enough to go attaching yourself to a firm at this stage.

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:11 pm

And exit options coming out of Sidley are next level: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Otunga

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:27 pm

drs36 wrote:And exit options coming out of Sidley are next level: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Otunga
Not to mention barack obama

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
drs36 wrote:And exit options coming out of Sidley are next level: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Otunga
Not to mention barack obama
not to mention Michelle Obama

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:48 pm

valen wrote:can any Sidley SAs chime in on whether there have been any updates on this?
I'm one of the summers. I got my offer on Monday and based on our group chat it seems like virtually everyone else did as well. I am unaware of anyone that was no-offered or cold-offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:05 pm

In NYC, Sidley miscalculated yield but still offered everyone. I am sure it is the same story in chicago

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All signs point to there being at most two no-offers, and more likely only one. Thus, those situations almost certainly had nothing to do with yield, the financial condition of the firm, salary raises, or a mix of those factors.
Oh that's not so bad. Do you know if those no offers were for "social fit" or did the firm over hire this summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Last edited by valen on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In NYC, Sidley miscalculated yield but still offered everyone. I am sure it is the same story in chicago
Wrong. 3 people were no offered at Sidley Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In NYC, Sidley miscalculated yield but still offered everyone. I am sure it is the same story in chicago
is that all, and do you know why? did any others receive soft offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a summer from this year, and I'm curious where this number came from. I haven't heard of a single person getting no-offered, nor is there anything on NALP or another site as far as I'm aware. Can this anon give us a source? Because I'm tempted to think that this number was just made up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a summer from this year, and I'm curious where this number came from. I haven't heard of a single person getting no-offered, nor is there anything on NALP or another site as far as I'm aware. Can this anon give us a source? Because I'm tempted to think that this number was just made up.
If you were indeed at the Chicago office, you couldn't possibly have heard from a majority of your class. Furthermore, the information clearly wouldn't be reflected on NALP since it just occurred within the last 2 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you were indeed at the Chicago office, you couldn't possibly have heard from a majority of your class. Furthermore, the information clearly wouldn't be reflected on NALP since it just occurred within the last 2 weeks.
I was at the Chicago office, but that's exactly my point. How can this person claim to know that there were 3 no offers if the information isn't posted anywhere and no one has (openly, at least) admitted to a no offer? You're right that I haven't spoken to a majority of the class, but I have spoken to probably 15 people who were equally unaware of any no offers. And you can't seriously believe that if one person learned of a no offer that the rumor wouldn't spread to virtually the entire class. I just find it beyond belief that I wouldn't have heard of any of the 3 by now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:09 am

At least some Northwestern students who were in the Chicago office this summer received emails from career services noting that there were no-offers at Sidley Chicago.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was at the Chicago office, but that's exactly my point. How can this person claim to know that there were 3 no offers if the information isn't posted anywhere and no one has (openly, at least) admitted to a no offer? You're right that I haven't spoken to a majority of the class, but I have spoken to probably 15 people who were equally unaware of any no offers. And you can't seriously believe that if one person learned of a no offer that the rumor wouldn't spread to virtually the entire class. I just find it beyond belief that I wouldn't have heard of any of the 3 by now.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote: I was at the Chicago office, but that's exactly my point. How can this person claim to know that there were 3 no offers if the information isn't posted anywhere and no one has (openly, at least) admitted to a no offer? You're right that I haven't spoken to a majority of the class, but I have spoken to probably 15 people who were equally unaware of any no offers. And you can't seriously believe that if one person learned of a no offer that the rumor wouldn't spread to virtually the entire class. I just find it beyond belief that I wouldn't have heard of any of the 3 by now.
Something that SAs might not realize -- associates at the office (at least in my office) are emailed a spreadsheet regularly of everyone who was offered and their response. Any attorney in Sidley's Chicago office can determine how many no offers were made.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:48 am

So apparently, but I am not in a position to confirm, 61/64 got offers. If that is true, then it likely has nothing to do with the financial status of the firm...it would have to be a much larger number of no-offers to raise concerns about the status of the firm. This more likely has to do with individual performance and behavior.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:44 am

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I was at the Chicago office, but that's exactly my point. How can this person claim to know that there were 3 no offers if the information isn't posted anywhere and no one has (openly, at least) admitted to a no offer? You're right that I haven't spoken to a majority of the class, but I have spoken to probably 15 people who were equally unaware of any no offers. And you can't seriously believe that if one person learned of a no offer that the rumor wouldn't spread to virtually the entire class. I just find it beyond belief that I wouldn't have heard of any of the 3 by now.
Something that SAs might not realize -- associates at the office (at least in my office) are emailed a spreadsheet regularly of everyone who was offered and their response. Any attorney in Sidley's Chicago office can determine how many no offers were made.
How often is said spreadsheet sent around? I received an offer from a different firm (not Sidley), but have not accepted yet and plan to use most of my NALP allotted time to think about my options. I wasn't sure if everyone in the firm was reminded frequently that I still have not accepted. Makes sense though, I am guessing so people will follow-up with me if they like me.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:09 pm

anon3030 wrote: How often is said spreadsheet sent around? I received an offer from a different firm (not Sidley), but have not accepted yet and plan to use most of my NALP allotted time to think about my options. I wasn't sure if everyone in the firm was reminded frequently that I still have not accepted. Makes sense though, I am guessing so people will follow-up with me if they like me.
That's not an issue in my opinion -- attorneys might follow up with you during the waiting period though of course. If you accept, everyone will be glad you accepted. If not, you're going to a different firm. Some firms may want the "notice" so that they can adjust OCI accordingly, but I don't think that's your responsibility.

Sorry - accidental anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:27 am

Do we know how this shook out yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:39 am

I was a summer and still haven't heard of anyone being no-offered or cold offered. Group assignments went out though and so far everyone I know got the one they wanted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:43 am

2L at NU. Two friends asked about this after receiving offers and heard that it was max 3 (I can't remember if 2 or 3). The impression they got was that it was pretty egregious... Like one person never turned in a written assignment during the whole summer.

Just what I've heard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”